Glide past ancient rainforests aboard a morning or afternoon Gordon River Cruise from Strahan. With a choice of seating levels, departure time and duration, this cruise fits easily into any sightseeing schedule. Explore the beautiful Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area as you pass landmarks like Hells Gates and Sarah Island. Depending on option selected, lunch, snacks and beverages may be included.
- Choice of several departures throughout the day
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Choice of seating available
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- Lunch included
Morning cruise (5.5-6 hours)
Pass through Hells Gates, the narrow opening that separates the ocean from Macquarie Harbour, and find out why early mariners gave the place its threatening name. At just 400 feet (120 meters) wide, the hazardous opening has been a challenge for sailors since it was discovered in 1815.
Then travel across Macquarie Harbour toward the calm lower reaches of the Gordon River. Pass by salmon and trout farms, and cruise through the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area, marveling at the riverside rainforest. Stop at Heritage Landing to take a walk through the lush forest to admire myrtles, leatherwood trees and species of pines found only in Tasmania. The raised timber walkway leads you through the verdant forest to a fallen giant — a 2,000-year-old Huon pine that fell to the ground but continues to support new saplings.
You’ll also visit Sarah Island, a convict settlement from 1822 to 1833. Listen to an actor tell stories of the days when convicts labored to cut logs of Huon pine to build ships — this settlement was once Australia’s most productive shipyard, and approximately 2,000 prisoners, officers and military passed through during this time.
Lunch is served on board according to your selected tour option. You are free to move about the boat if you want to grab some fresh air on the deck or check out the featured photographs and maps. Your cruise ends when you return to Strahan in the early afternoon, giving you plenty of time to explore the town on your own.
Afternoon cruise (3.5 hours)
Cruise through Macquarie Harbour to the Gordon River, where your speed drops as you travel slowly upstream through the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area. See an ancient Huon pine tree hanging over the river, and listen to commentary from your captain about the area’s history and notable figures.
See and learn about native leatherwood trees found in Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park, and sample a bit of rare leatherwood honey. You'll also take a look at working fish farms that produce salmon and ocean trout, which you can taste. Continue across the harbor to reach its narrow entrance — the ominous Hells Gates — a sometimes-violent channel where the ocean and harbor meet. Then return to Strahan, where your cruise ends.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Gordon River Cruises terminal
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Morning: Atrium Seating
Forward-facing seat in the center of the main deck; includes buffet lunch. Departs at 8:30am
Morning: Window Recliner
Forward-facing seat on the main deck next to full-length windows for exceptional views; includes buffet lunch. Departs at 8:30am
Morning: Captain's Upper Deck
Luxury seating with exclusive deck space with nature guide; includes fine food, wine, Tasmanian beer and lunch (smoked salmon, trout, Tasmanian game and Tasmanian goods like cheese). Departs at 8:30am
Gordon River Cruise
- Buffet lunch (if option selected)
- Honey, trout and salmon tastings
- Live commentary on board
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Infant are free provided they do not occupy a seat
- Tour is wheelchair accessible in the atrium seating area only. Motor scooters are not permitted due to size limitations
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- About the boat: The Lady Jane Franklin features an engine and hull environmentally designed to ensure minimal impact on the Gordon River area’s pristine wilderness; inside, the vessel provides an optimal experience for passengers with a play area for children, interpretive facilities with maps, photographs and guidebooks, and plenty of deck space
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Marie-Therese B, February 2017
I missed the tour on Thursday and managed to reschedule for Friday. I had a really great experience even if the weather wasn't great. The only criticism I have is when some of us went to reboard after the tour of Sarah Island we made it to the boat at the end of the jetty before being turned back as they had to count the number of passengers getting back on board. I think it would have been better to have either the entry to the pier roped off until they were ready for us to board or for someone to be positioned at the entry to the jetty. In that way we wouldn't have had to brave the strong winds twice. Despite this the service was excellent and the knowledge of crew was also excellent. The meal was also very good.
Reviewed by: Diane D, February 2017
Just loved it great food great cruiseu