Tongass Wildlife Kayaking Adventure
Experience the tranquility of the Alaskan wilderness as you paddle on the waterways in search of local fauna on a Tongass Wildlife Kayaking Adventure.
- Free snacks included
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Led by a local guide
- All necessary equipment included
A 30 minute drive from Juneau brings you to a private beach location near Amalga Harbor and Yankee Cove, passing Mendenhall, Herbert, and Eagle glaciers along the way. Keep your eyes on the surrounding rivers, peat bogs and spruce-hemlock trees for local wildlife including porcupine, deer, beavers and eagles.
On arrival, you guide will help you get outfitted in good quality gear before you slip away from the beach in a tandem kayak to begin your Tongass Wildlife Kayaking Adventure. This area is the perfect breeding ground for krill and phytoplankton due to the fresh water which pours into the coastline from the glaciers. The plankton rich waters attract a myriad of wildlife looking for an easy meal. Humpback whales traveling through to Hawaii often spend the whole summer feeding in the waters and from time to time Orcas can be spotted cruising the area. Seals, porpoises, sea lions and many species of sea birds are also often seen.
Rain or shine, this is quite simply the finest half-day kayak trip you will find. Certified guides lead an entertaining coast wilderness route that is limited to 12 participants. This is an easy to moderate adventure which requires no previous experience, making it perfect for beginners and families. You need only bring your camera and an appetite for adventure. Join the locals for a true Alaskan wildlife experience!
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from Juneau hotels or the Mt. Roberts Tramway (5 minutes from the cruise ship terminal)
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Departs at 1:30pm
Tongass Wildlife Kayaking Adventure
- Certified guides
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Snack and beverages
- All necessary equipment and gear (including rain gear) - please advise supplier of rain gear sizing
- Roundtrip van transportation from designated meeting point
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- You must include the following in the comments section when booking: raingear & shoe sizes for each passenger, (for adult men and women, S-XXL and youth, S-L) and any pertinent medical information
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- This small group adventure has a minimum of 2 and maximum of 12 participants
- Minimum age is 8 years
- All clients will be outfitted in double kayaks on this trip.
Clients interested in using single kayaks can request singles on the day of the trip, subject to availability
What to Bring:
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
If you cancel between 8 and 14 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 7 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Karen B, June 2016
The guides were fun, friendly, and knowledgeable. Equipment loaned to participants was in great condition.
That being said, the 2 person kayak situation is awful. I was with a group of people who had no clue about what they were doing. This in and of itself would not have been an issue had they listened to the guides. For that reason and that reason alone I will never do another kayak adventure such as this.
Reviewed by: Lindsay V, August 2012
Highlight of our trip! Such a great experience. We saw seals and bald eagles!