Monticello and Thomas Jefferson Country Day Trip from Washington DC
Stop at Michie Tavern for a tour of this rustic, 18th-century landmark and a hearty lunch of southern favorites (own expense) served family style; you may also choose to wait and eat at the cafe at Monticello if you prefer. After leaving Michie Tavern, take a gorgeous drive up an 850-foot (260-meter) mountain to Monticello, Jefferson's lavish plantation home, and spend 3 to 4 hours exploring it on your own. Join a guided tour of the magnificent neoclassical-style mansion, and see the extensive slave quarters on Mulberry Row. Walk around the lush vegetable and flower gardens and pay a visit to Jefferson's grave.
Your day trip also includes a drive through the lovely grounds of the University of Virginia, which was founded and designed by Jefferson. Relax on the drive back to Washington DC, and conclude your 11.5-hour day trip at Union Station.
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Monticello through the flowers
- Professional driver/guide
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- If the wheelchair is collapsible (i.e. can fold up) and the passenger is able to walk onto the bus, the passenger can take this coach tour without making any special arrangements
- If the passenger is confined to the wheelchair, or it is not collapsible, the passenger or their agent will need to contact the tour operator two weeks prior to the departure of their tour to request a coach with a wheelchair lift
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Ruth E, July 2016
I learned so much about Thomas Jefferson! The guide was interesting and informative. The tour was fascinating. I'd also recommend the slavery tour. We stopped for lunch at a historic tavern and ate a traditional feast of that day. The only confusing part was where the tour started and the fact that we had to look for Gray Line DC, not Viator.
Reviewed by: Larry G, June 2016
This tour was amazing!