Otago Central Rail Trail Bike Tour
- Lunch included
- All necessary equipment included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Your day starts with pickup from your hotel in Queenstown or Wanaka, from where you’ll travel by minivan to the heart of Central Otago. You’ll be fitted with a helmet and bike with a comfortable padded seat. Start cycling at Auripo Road, with a gentle downhill stretch for approximately two hours. Cycle at your own pace and take in the magnificent scenery.
This is a fascinating and stunning section of the Otago Central Rail Trail. It took more than 300 workers three years to build the two tunnels and two bridges necessary to get the railway through the rugged terrain. Here, you might also glimpse the rare Karearea, New Zealand’s native falcon.
Stop for a full gourmet lunch (included) in Omakau, one of the farming towns that flourished when the railway opened in the early 1900s. Magnificent stone stables still stand alongside the local hotel that was originally built in 1898 as a farmhouse. Well-preserved, almost stately town buildings remain, and on the hill north of town is the grand Omakau Catholic Church.
The cycling trip is self-guided. A support vehicle will meet you at many points along the trail for assistance and to share local knowledge about the region and the history of the many towns you pass along the way.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Otago Central Rail Trail
- Hotel pickup and drop off (selected hotels only)
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Bike tour
- Support vehicle
- All equipment including bikes and helmets
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Please advise your height at time of booking to ensure correct bicycle size
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Nuckle, April 2015
A must do. The tour was fantastic.