- Free snacks included
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- See the sights illuminated at night
- Dinner included
View a spectacular sunset from the top of Mauna Kea and enjoy a unique stargazing experience on this Big Island adventure tour. After departing Kona and a brief pickup from the Queens' MarketPlace in Waikoloa, you'll travel through a Hawaiian historical ranch in a 4x4 luxury van to Mauna Kea summit.
Enjoy a hot, picnic-style dinner (see sample menu in the Itinerary section below) at a former Hawaiian ranch site where you're provided with a warm, hooded parka. Then prepare to make the climb to the summit area of Mauna Kea, learning about the Big Island's cultural, natural and ecological history from your naturalist guide.
From the summit, enjoy views of Mauna Loa and see Maui's volcano, Haleakala, along with other special points of interest. Stand among some of the earth's most powerful telescopes as you enjoy the sunset view.
After sunset, travel to the Mauna Kea Visitor Station at 9,000 feet (2,743 meters), where your guide sets up a telescope for a personal, entertaining and educational star party. Learn how Mauna Kea's unique geography draws scientists from all over the world to study the heavens, and also allows for incredible nighttime views of the stars.
Enjoy hot beverages and dessert as your guide gives a personal astronomy lesson before your return to Kona.
Tour departs from operator’s Kona Headquarters on Olowalu Street (in Kaloko Industrial Park) , or Waikoloa Queens’ MarketPlace.
Mauna Kea Summit and Stars Small Group Adventure Tour
- Hooded parkas and gloves
- Hot picnic dinner
- Hot cocoa and cookies
- Private star show with telescope
- Local taxes
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 5 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Due to the high altitude; this tour is not suitable for those with respiratory, heart or circulatory conditions, poor health, or pregnancy
- Scuba divers should be aware of altitude dangers
- There is minimal walking on this tour, the maximum being about 150 yards
- We recommend that guests wear closed-toe walking shoes or hiking boots, long pants and bring a light sweatshirt or jacket
- Please advise your parka size (small, medium, large, x-large or xx-large) and choice of meal (BBQ Chicken, Grilled Chicken Breast or a Vegetarian Tofu Wrap) at time of booking. If you do not indicate this at the time of booking, you will be required to call and advise them of this information directly.
- The access road to Mauna Kea is four-wheel drive only, so it can be bumpy. The custom off-road transit vans will get you to the top and back in safety and comfort. The transit vans can carry a maximum of 14 passengers
- Snow is seasonal at Mauna Kea, with the heaviest snowfall occurring during the winter months
- Minimum age is 16 years
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- Hot Entrée Option: Grilled boneless chicken breast topped with guava BBQ sauce (gluten free)
- Vegetable Medley
- Steamed Brown Rice
- Bread Roll
- Chilled Vegetarian Entrée Option: Vegetarian Tofu Wrap (served chilled) (Wrap includes: marinated tofu with a julienne of carrot, cucumber, lettuce, and red onion in a sun-dried tomato tortilla wrap
- Mint quinoa
- Sweet Chili Sauce served on the side
- Chocolate brownies
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.