- Hotel Pick-Up
Take a private tour to see a modern and an ancient engineering marvel in Aswan when you visit the High Dam and Unfinished Obelisk. See two of Egypt's engineering wonders with the incredible Unfinished Obelisk lying exactly as it fell, and the world famous engineering miracle that is the High Dam.
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Led by a qualified Egyptologist
- All entrance fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Depart your Aswan hotel or cruise ship and travel to the High Dam of Aswan. Located near Aswan, the world famous High Dam was an engineering miracle when it was built in the 1960s. Containing more material than used in the Great Pyramid of Cheops, the Dam is 11,811 ft long, 3215 ft thick at the base, 364 ft tall and is carved into from the existing granite, providing irrigation and electricity for the whole of Egypt. from the top of the High Dam you can gaze across Lake Nasser, a huge reservoir created when it was built, to Kalabsha temple in the south and the huge power station to the north.
Continue to the Unfinished Obelisk in the granite quarries of Aswan where much of the red granite used for ancient temples and colossi came from. The Unfinished Obelisk located in the Northern Quarry still lies where it was carved when a crack was discovered as it was being hewn from the rock. Your qualified Egyptologist guide will explain how the 1 tonne obelisk was carved, and why the crack caused it to be abandoned.
This is a private tour allowing you to determine the amount of time spent at each of the sites during the tour.
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Aswan hotels or Port area
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Private Tour: High Dam and Unfinished Obelisk
- Qualified Egyptologist guide
- Entrance fees
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Hotel/port pickup and drop off
- Gratuities (recommended)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Transport is wheelchair accessible however be prepared for uneven surfaces at the sites visited which may be difficult for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.