- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Led by a local guide
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
Stop first for a walk with your guide through the countryside near the southern edge of ancient Rome. Admire the attractive Italian scenery outside the city and perhaps take time to capture the landscape through the lens of your camera.
Continue on to Rome’s ancient Catacombs of San Callisto or San Sebastiano. The Catacombs of San Callisto were built in the 2nd century and named after the deacon Saint Callixtus, while San Sebastiano is a small Christian cemetery and one of Rome’s most accessible catacombs. Explore the underground tunnels with your guide, hear of their history and gain insight into the burial techniques prevalent those centuries ago.
Leaving the Catacombs behind and travel onward to admire Rome’s remaining aqueducts. The Romans were masters of engineering and the aqueducts still standing today are testament to their skills. Listen as your guide explains how and why the aqueducts were built here and marvel at the amazing feat of engineering they represent.
After three hours exploring the Catacombs and countryside along Rome’s ancient Appian Way, return to your original departure point to conclude your tour.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Appian Way Rome
- Professional guide
- Entrance fees
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A dress code is required to enter the catacombs. Both shoulders and knees MUST be covered for both men and women. This dress code is strictly enforced and you will be refused entry if you fail to comply with requirements.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.