Kanchanaburi's famous Bridge on the River Kwai and the beginning of the Death Railway is a poignant reminder of the thousands of POW's and forced laborers who lost their lives in the Second World War. This full day guided tour from Bangkok also includes a visit to the war museum and the opportunity to ride a local train.
- Instant Confirmation
- Rail Tour
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- Lunch included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Fascinating, nostalgic and memorable sums up this full day tour to Kanchanaburi, 80 miles (130 kilometers) west of Bangkok. The province itself is an agricultural area with sugar cane, rice paddies and pineapple plantations all forming significant portions of the stunning Thai rural landscape. Whether a war buff or rail enthusiast, everyone has a different reason to see this symbolic bridge.
The famous bridge and the beginning of the 'Death Railway', which lies 1 mile outside the town of Kanchanaburi, is a poignant reminder of the thousands of POW's and forced laborers who lost their lives in the Second World War. The building of the bridge in 1943 was one part of a huge Japanese wartime project to link existing Thai and Burmese railway lines to create a direct route from Bangkok, Thailand to Rangoon, Burma (now Myanmar) in an effort to support the Japanese occupation of Burma. Thousands of POW's and laborers died in the process. During your tour a visit will be made to one of the Allied War Grave cemeteries (often an emotional experience) before visiting the JEATH war museum, which houses pictures and paintings from this period.
An exhilarating long tailed speed boat ride will then take you down river to the famous bridge itself where you have ample time to explore at your own leisure. A ride on a local train is also included before returning to Bangkok city.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
- Novotel Suvarnabhumi - Bang Na (near Suvarnabhumi Airport)
- Niran Grand - Bang Na
- Nototel Bang Na - Bang Na
- Royal Princess Srinakarin - Bang Na
- Amari Don Muang - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Airport Suite Bangkok - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Asia Airport - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Ebina House - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Rama Gardens - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Quality Suite Airport - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Miracle Grand Convention - Laksi
- Inn Come Sweet - Chatuchak
- Chaleena Princess - Ramkamheng
- Grand Hitech Tower Inn - Ekkamai
- Forum Park - Yannawa (far end of Nang Linchi)
- Rio Residence - Yannawa (far end of Nang Linchi)
- Royal Pacific Plaza - Rama 9
- Oasis - Huang Kwang
- P R Union - Thonburi
- Gold Orchid Bangkok - Suttisan
- And selected areas
Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Thai Burma Death Railway Bridge on the River Kwai Tour from Bangkok
- Hotel pickup and drop off (selected hotels only)
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Local guide
- All entrance fees
- Speed boat ride
- Ride on a local train
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Boat ride is not wheelchair accessible
- Restroom facilities available
- You must provide your hotel details at time of booking, failure to do so may result in cancellation
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.