- Family friendly
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
Your Doubtful Sound overnight adventure begins with a short cruise across island-studded Lake Manapouri and a coach trip over Wilmot Pass. You'll then descend to Doubtful Sound to meet the crew and board the sailing scow awaiting you in Deep Cove.
The sailing scow is purposely built for these waters and designed along the lines of a traditional sailing vessel, combining the charm of a bygone era with all the modern comforts, including spacious viewing decks, a dining saloon, fully licensed bar and an observation lounge.
Cruise the full length of the fiord, weaving through hidden coves and waterways. Doubtful Sound is home to a vast array of natural flora and fauna. See bottlenose dolphins, fur seals and penguins in their natural habitats from the vessel’s large viewing decks and platforms. A specialist nature guide is on board to provide commentary and insight into the history of the region.
In the late afternoon, the crew will drop anchor in a sheltered cove, allowing you to explore the shoreline by kayak or tender craft (small boat) with a nature guide. For the more adventurous, there’s even a chance to go swimming.
Enjoy a delicious buffet dinner prepared by the onboard chef and relax in the saloon before retiring to your cozy cabin.
The next morning, following a cooked or continental breakfast, cruise a little further before returning to Manapouri.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Te Anau: Visitor Centre, Lakefront Drive
Queenstown: Visitor Centre, Steamer Wharf
Te Anau: 11:30am
1 Apr - 21 May & 1 Sep – 31 Oct:
Te Anau: 11am
Te Anau: 12:45pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Overnight cruise departing Manapouri. Accommodation in a single, twin, triple or quad-share cabin. 1 cabin will be allocated per booking. Please make a separate booking for any additional cabins.
USD $202.80Pricing details
Overnight cruise with round-trip coach from Te Anau. Single, twin, triple or quad-share cabins. 1 cabin will be allocated per booking. Please make a separate booking for additional cabins.
USD $210.10Pricing details
Overnight cruise with round-trip coach transfers from Queenstown. Single, twin, triple or quad-share cabin. 1 cabin will be allocated per booking. Make a separate booking for additional cabins.
USD $237.09Pricing details
Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise
- Overnight cruise on Doubtful Sound
- 3-course buffet dinner
- Continental or cooked breakfast
- Specialist nature guide
- Coach transfers
- Cruise on Manapouri Lake
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not recommended for child aged 12 months and under
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Not wheelchair accessible
- What to bring: comfortable shoes, waterproof jacket, warm clothing, and swimsuit
- For passenger comfort and safety, only one overnight bag per person is allowed on board
- Accommodation: 18 cabins have private bathrooms (12 single or twin cabins; 6 cabins with double beds). 9 quad-share cabins are bunk-style with shared bathroom facilities. Linen, duvet, towel and pillows are provided. If you are a party of 3, you will be booked into a quad-share for sole use with shared facilities; if you require private bathrooms, please book a single cabin and a separate booking for a twin/double cabin. Please note when booking as a triple you will be charged a fourth bed at the child rate
- Curtains will divide cabins
Reviewed by: wwmelton, October 2016
Such a wonderful experience! Although trip to cruise was long, it was worth it. So glad we did the over night tour since the second day was rainy so we saw thousands of waterfalls. We also saw seals, whales and porpoises. The entire trip was handled professionally from pickup to drop off.
Reviewed by: Glenda H, Australia, October 2016
Beautiful views, the crew were great, food excellent.