Due to a new Vatican partnership, this tour provides VIP access through a reserved door, allowing you to skip all the lines – even the priority lines. Numbers are also limited to just 12 people on this unique Vatican tour, ensuring you'll see the very best of the Vatican Museums in a small-group atmosphere.
- All entrance fees included
- Fully narrated tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Likely to Sell Out
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Small-group tour
In your small group of no more than 12 people, stroll through the corridors to view the world's largest private art collection, once intended exclusively for the pope. As your expert guide entertains you with tales of Vatican power and intrigue, you'll feel the Renaissance works of art come to life.
Amble through Raphael's Rooms, the four interconnecting chambers adorned with paintings by Raphael and his pupils, before visiting the breathtakingly beautiful Sistine Chapel, which is considered the pope's home chapel. Walk through this sacred Vatican site to see Michelangelo's astounding frescoes, The Creation of Adam and The Last Judgment, without the crowds that appear later in the day.
The last part of your small-group Vatican tour focuses on St Peter's Basilica, with its distinctive 450-foot-high (137-meter) dome. Step inside to see why it’s so much more than just a church, and gaze in wonder at its awe-inspiring architecture and mosaics, including another Michelangelo masterpiece, La Pietà. Steeped in history, St Peters Basilica is said to stand on the ground where St Peter the Apostle was crucified and buried.
Your guide will explain the highlights of the basilica and its significance as the holiest place in Christendom, before your tour ends in stunning St Peter's Square.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums Small-Group Walking Tour
- Small-group walking tour
- Entrance fees
- Professional guide
- Guaranteed to skip the lines
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- Pre-booking this tour enables you to skip the long lines (which can take up to two hours!) to enter the Vatican Museums. Please note, all visitors must pass through metal detectors at the security check point. Please expect to wait 20-30 minutes to clear security.
- This tour involves a fair amount of walking, comfortable shoes are recommended
- On rare occasions, St Peter’s Basilica closes without notice. If this happens, you will spend a full 3 hours touring the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel. We will list affected dates as they become available. When possible, your tour guide will notify you if St Peter’s Basilica is unexpectedly closed at the start of the tour. It is beyond our control, so no refunds or discounts will be issued
- Wheelchair information: This tour is NOT wheelchair accessible. For your information, Vatican Museums provide wheelchairs free of charge in the main lobby. You can easily pick one up after entrance, before starting your own independent visit. If you are looking for a guided tour with wheelchair access, we recommend booking our private tour so a guide can lead you through the alternate routes.
- St Peter's Basilica, the grottos and the dome: After the tour, you may visit these attractions on your own. Your tour will end at the front of St Peter's Basilica, which is a very convenient location to leave for lunch, visit the Vatican bookstore, visit the Vatican post office, enter St Peter's Basilica, continue to the grottos below St Peter's or climb to the dome. Your tour guide will be happy to point you in the right direction!
- Backpacks, tripods and big umbrellas must be left inside a cloakroom on entering the Vatican Museums. To reduce any disruption for your group, we recommend that these items are not taken on this tour
- Tours departing Wednesday: There is a possibility that St Peter's Basilica and St Peter's Square will be unavailable due to the weekly Papal Audience during which access to St Peter's Basilica is closed. As an alternative you will be offered an extended itinerary within the Vatican Museums, which still includes the Sistine Chapel and Raphael's Rooms. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. If you prefer that St Peter's Basilica and Square are included, please DO NOT select Wednesday as your travel date
- Please be aware that due to Holy Easter Holidays, St. Peter's Basilica will be closed during the selected date (March 24th, 25th, 26th) for this tour. We will substitute other areas of the Vatican to ensure you have the best possible experience
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: ronleigh2, August 2016
Excellent tour and our guide Virginia was brilliant . We skipped the line and where inside immediately. Well worth the money and I would highly recommend it.
Reviewed by: Rhonda P, August 2016
When I visited the Vatican 15 years ago, I went with a tour in the afternoon. It was so crowded, it was impossible to enjoy. We couldn't even squeeze into Raphael's rooms. This trip was so much better. Getting to see the Vatican Museum before it opens to the public was priceless!! We were virtually the only ones in the whole museum for the first hour. I finally got to see Raphael's rooms! Our tour guide was amazing! Very informative, but also a lot of fun. Gave us the gossip in addition to the serious stuff. Loved every minute of it!