On board your jet-powered, multi-level catamaran with an underwater camera and both indoor and outdoor seating, cruise through the Bay of Islands — named for its nearly 150 islands — heading toward Cape Brett, the far eastern tip in the bay. Admire great views from the boat's spacious decks while you listen to the crew share information about the region’s history and ecology. Keep your eyes open for marine life like seals, dolphins, whales, penguins and sea birds.
Your cruise isn’t just for sightseeing, though — it’s a Cream Trip, a tradition that dates back to the early 1900s when a boat was used to transport cream and other supplies between the islands and the mainland. This means you’ll get up-close views of sandy beaches and island homes as you stop to deliver mail and other supplies to local residents.
When you reach Cape Brett, check out its noted landmark, a natural arch known as Hole in the Rock. Then your captain will let you know if the weather and water conditions allow for swimming in an area where dolphins like to hang out (optional; own expense). If you’re interested, you can use a provided wetsuit and snorkeling gear.
About halfway through the day, stop on Urupukapuka Island for 1.5 hours of free time to take a scenic walk, go for a swim or relax on the beach. You can buy lunch on board the boat; a full bar, tea, coffee and snacks are also available for purchase (own expense).
Your cruise ends with return to Russell and Paihia.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
9:40am from Russell Wharf
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Best of the Bay Supercruise - Original Cream Trip
- Luxury air-conditioned catamaran
- Live commentary on board
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks (drinks and limited snacks are available to purchase on board)
- Swimming with dolphins (optional; weather permitting; NZ$30 per person, payable at the time; includes use of wetsuit, snorkeling gear and hot shower on board)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Vehicles are collapsible-wheelchair accessible, however the driver is unable to assist passengers boarding and disembarking due to insurance regulations
- Departures and itineraries may be subject to sea and weather conditions
- It is recommended that you bring a jacket (it can get cool on the boat), hat and sunglasses; if you plan to swim, bring a swimsuit and towel
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Micheal L, May 2016
Great trip. The captain went out of his normal route to find us a pod of killer whales orcas which we stayed and watched for about an hour. The experience was great being so close to these majestic mammals. The rest of the trip was great with the captain giving us a running commentary the whole way round. Well worth the money
Reviewed by: Louise G, March 2016
What a great day out! Saw dolphins as we were coming home after a dull weather day in Paihia turned out to be glorious around the islands. Brilliant and knowledgeable crew.
Will go again if I go back to the bay of islands and recommend you do too.