Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk
Once fitted out with all your equipment, take a short bus ride to the outskirts of the glacier. Your guide will take you on a Glacier Valley Walk that will take you up alongside the mighty Waiho River bed following the glaciers path of retreat in this remarkable landscape.
You will learn about the glacier's history, see what is left behind by this majestic giant, and learn the legend of Ka Roimata o Hinehukatere. Near the terminal face, you will cross over the public barriers and after a brief climb you will be rewarded with spectacular views of the rapidly changing terminal face of the glacier.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk, departs at 10am and returns at 1pm
USD $54.37Pricing details
Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk, departs at 2:15pm and returns at 5:15pm
USD $54.37Pricing details
Franz Josef Glacier
- Small-group tour
- 3-hour guided glacier tour
- Professional guide
- All equipment
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 6 years
- The glacier walks are quite challenging as the glacier is advancing and becoming very steep, and clients need to be fit and able. Refunds will not be available for clients who cannot participate on the day due to inappropriate fitness levels i.e. it is important you are selecting the right trip for your physical fitness ability. Guides reserve the right to curtail or cancel trips for clients whose fitness is not appropriate
- Operates in all weather conditions
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Hannah C, May 2016
The staff are friendly and make sure that you are well equipped for the trip. It was pouring rain when I went, so all the provided gear was muchly appreciated. It was great to have a guide take you through valley and have them share history and science behind such beautiful views. This guided walk gives you a great intro into the area, so that you can go check out the other walking tracks as well.
Reviewed by: Daniel D, April 2016
Excellent and enjoyable