- Instant Confirmation
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- All entrance fees included
- Enjoy fantastic aerial views
- Lunch included
- Led by a local guide
Your Lantau Island tour in Hong Kong begins with hotel pickup, followed by an express ferry ride across Hong Kong Harbour. When you reach Lantau Island with your guide, board a coach to beautiful Cheung Sha Beach – Hong Kong's longest beach. From here, head to the unique Tai O fishing village, where you’ll find local fishermen's homes built on stilts.
Your scenic coach journey will take you up a winding mountain road to Ngong Ping Plateau, where the majestic Tian Tan Buddha sits near the Po Lin Monastery. Popularly known as the Big Buddha or Giant Buddha, the statue reaches more than 111 feet (34 meters) high, making it the world's largest seated, outdoor bronze Buddha.
You'll have ample time to enjoy a guided Big Buddha tour, including the colorful Po Lin Monastery and its Giant Buddha Exhibition Hall. A short walk away is the Wisdom Path, where an ancient prayer is inscribed on a series of wooden columns set in a figure eight to signify infinity.
Enjoy a traditional Buddhist vegetarian meal at the monastery, followed by an optional visit to the culturally themed Ngong Ping Village, which offers a range of regional street performances, shows and demonstrations, as well as multimedia attractions.
Your tour of Lantau Island in Hong Kong concludes with a descent down the mountain aboard the Ngong Ping 360 sky rail cable car to the Ngong Ping Plateau – a 3-mile (5.7 km) distance away. This 25-minute journey across Tung Chung Bay offers breathtaking panoramic views of the South China Sea along with the awe-inspiring Giant Buddha nestled in the lush mountains landscape.
From Tung Chung Village, return to Kowloon or Hong Kong Island by coach.
- This tour is NOT recommended for elderly or disabled passengers due to restricted access on and off the ferryboat and Ngong Ping cable car. (Cable car subject to operational and weather conditions)
- Cable car will be unavailable due to maintenance on the following 2014 dates: Jan 14-16, Mar 17-20, Jun 24-25, Sep 15-19 and Dec 2-3. Transportation by coach will be arranged for these dates
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from your centrally located Hong Kong or Kowloon hotel
Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
Tour returns to original departure point at approximately 4:00pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Lantau Island and Giant Buddha Day Trip from Hong Kong
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Entrance fees
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- One-way ferry
- 25-minute cable car journey
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- This tour is not recommended for elderly or disabled passengers due to restricted access on and off the ferryboat and Ngong Ping cable car. Not wheelchair accessible
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Brenda G, September 2016
This tour was on our first day in Hong Kong. It was a great way to see the lay of the land and the great views from the Big Buddha. Lantau island is very interesting and so different from Hong Kong. The quaint fishing villages and farming lands were a welcome change. the beaches are also very picturesque and rarely inhibited. The highlight was the Big Buddha and the Monastery, which were both very interesting and enjoyable to visit.
Reviewed by: David H, September 2016
Excellent trip, well worth doing. The guide was superb.