A trip to Puerto Rico is not complete without descending into the depths of a million year old cave! Few cave systems in the world are as massive or dramatic as the Rio Camuy Cave Park. If that's not enough, wait until you see the Arecibo Observatory, the world's largest radar/radio telescope, nestled in the tropical mountains of northern Puerto Rico.
This tour takes you from San Juan to Northwestern Puerto Rico, part of the third largest underground river cavern system in the world. You'll enjoy a safe, guided tour of the marvels. From sinkholes and cathedral-like caverns to views of the mysterious river and its eons-old stalactites and stalagmites. Be sure to wear comfortable, non-slippery shoes! This tour also takes you to where you'll see the largest radar/radio telescope. Operated by Cornell University, the telescope probes the ionosphere, examines planets and monitors natural radio emissions from distant galaxies, pulsars and quasars.
The caves at Camuy are actually 45 million years old, but it took a few million years for nature to adorn their towering ceilings with crystalline stalactites, their walls with flowing stone tapestries and their floors with mushroom mounds of stalactites. Few cave systems in the world are as massive or dramatic as the Rio Camuy Cave Park; none have a thundering tropical river traversing countless miles of uncharted channels. Three crater-like sinkholes and one cave of the huge system in the park are open to the public and they are truly memorable experiences.
The Arecibo Observatory is nestled in the mountains of northern Puerto Rico, about 30 minutes from Arecibo and is the world's largest radar/radio telescope. Here, scientists from all over the world use a giant 1000 foot (305 meter) diameter dish to listen to the universe. You may view the huge telescope from an observation platform, where its austere metallic symmetry shimmers in dramatic contrast with the dense, green, tropical landscape.
Please note that this tour does include lunch or entrance fees at the attractions.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
- Isla Verde area: 7:30am
- Condado area: 7:45am
- Old San Juan area: 8:00am
Tour returns at approximately 4:30pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Cave Park With Observatory
Rio Camuy Cave Park and Arecibo Observatory Tour. Arecibo Observatory will be closed until April of 2016.
Rio Camuy Cave Park and Arecibo Observatory from San Juan
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Professional guide
- Local taxes
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Entrance fees for Rio Camuy Caves (USD $18)
- Entrance fee for Arecibo Observatory (USD $13)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Pick up is not provided from San Juan Cruiseship (port/dock). The closest hotel is the Sheraton.
- Pickup is not provided from Wyndham El Conqistador Resort, Golden Door Spa Gran Melia, St. Regis, Sheraton Old San Juan Puerto Rico Hotel and Casino or Riomar resorts because the tour operates out of San Juan.
- Tour buses are wheelchair accessible, but do not have a wheelchair lift. Persons in a wheelchair must be able to walk a little (with help from the driver) in order to get on and off the bus. The wheelchair must be foldable
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Madeline T, September 2016
Reviewed by: Robert M, August 2016
The caves were spectacular and the weather held out for us on the visit up to the Arecibo Observatory. Both were well worth it and I highly recommend this combo tour!