Explore the traditional ingredients of Hungarian cuisine and enjoy the cultural experience while tasting some typical food of the country. Your local guide will introduce you to everyday life of Hungarian people through some hidden places of Budapest. Join our four-hour long walking tour and enjoy the experience!
At the Central Market Hall we will begin getting acquainted with Hungarian cuisine through the great variety and abundance of ingredients (which are mostly local and seasonal) on display. We will discuss the history of the building, the culture of eating and drinking in Hungary, and the everyday cooking and eating habits. The tour also includes an introduction to Hungarian paprika and will reveal why it is so special, how Hungarian cooks use it, and how it is produced. After tasting a few carefully selected things at the market, we will head out to the surrounding neighbourhood and visit a few more places. Lunch will be at a traditional restaurant, where we will taste a special Hungarian spirit as well. No day in Budapest is complete without dessert, so we will also stop at a cafe visited only by locals to taste some very special local dumplings.
The tour will end with a tasting of three quintessential Hungarian wines. During the tasting your guide will introduce you to the Hungarian wine regions, varietals, and styles. This tour will give you a taste of the traditional side of Hungarian cuisine, as well as the modern artisan producers and speciality food shops of the area.
We try our very best to cater for dietary requirements but due to local food customs we cannot guarantee that this will be possible in all cases. Options for vegetarians, guests with allergies and religious dietary restrictions may be very limited.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Fővám tér, V. district, 1052 Budapest - in front of Burger King restaurant.
1 April - 31 October: 12:00 - Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday
1 November - 31 January: 12:00 - Wednesday, Saturday
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Budapest wine tasting & lunch
- English speaking guide
- Generous food and drink tastings (enough for lunch!)
- A bottle of water for each participant
- Public transport tickets during tour when applicable
- Entry fees to sights and museums
- Transport to the meeting point
- From the conclusion point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Important notice: We try our very best to cater for dietary requirements but due to local food customs we cannot guarantee that this will be possible in all cases. Options for vegetarians, guests with allergies and religious dietary restrictions may be very limited
- Guests under 18 are not allowed to consume alcoholic beverages, they will be served soft drinks instead
- Participants will need to be fit for light walking for up to 4 hours, with breaks
- Tour goes in all weather conditions so please dress appropriately. Supplier not responsible for unforeseen delays or accidents
- A fair amount of walking is involved
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: David M, February 2017
This was an excellent tour - our guide Ferenc was very knowledgeable not just about the gastro part of the tour but also about Hungarian history and current cultural issues. I would highly recommend this guide to you if you are looking for a high value experience.
Reviewed by: GILLIAN N, November 2016
This was really good fun. Lots to see around the markets and also tasting. The wine tasting was also good and the meal in the Jewish Quarter was really excellent. Good value for money.