On arrival, hop onto your electric bike (pedal bikes are available if you prefer) and head deeper into the countryside with your guide. Take in top attractions such as the thermal baths of Trajan and Caracella, the Aurelian Walls, the Circus of Maxentius, the Tomb of Caecilia Metella and the Park of the Caffarella. Enjoy panoramic views over rural Italy and listen as your guide sheds light on the many ancient sights you see.
Stop at the San Callisto catacombs — built in the 2nd century and named after the deacon St Callixtus — and explore the underground tunnels with your guide. Learn of their fascinating history and gain insight into ancient Roman burial traditions.
After cycling approximately 19 miles (30 km) along the Appian Way, travel back to central Rome to conclude your tour.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
10:30am Tour in English
6-hour bike tour departing at 10:30am
2pm Tour in English
6-hour bike tour departing at 2pm
Ancient Appian Way
- Guided visit of the Catacombs of S. Callisto
- Aperitif in Caffarella Park
- Electric assist mountain bike or carbon mountain bike
- Rain coat (if necessary)
- Local guide
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Electric assist mountain bikes are available only for participants minimum 140CM
- We require all customers to wear a helmet (provided for free)
- Infants aged 1 - 4 years of age travel free of charge. Baby seats are provided up to 45 lbs (20 kg)
- You will cover an area of approximately 19 miles (30 Km); the level of the ride is intermediate, 60% of the ride is off road (no asphalt). A medium level of fitness is recommended and one should feel at ease on a bicycle.
- Are the tours safe? The answer is: Yes. The tours follow carefully planned routes which have limited access to traffic, and some have no traffic at all
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: George K, November 2016
I did enjoy the tour but feel that it would be more enjoyable had I been a more experienced bike rider. I think that I struggled a bit to keep up in the Rome traffic and held up the group who were much more capable than me on the bike
Reviewed by: Ron M, November 2016
Great guide and the electric bikes were amazing. All the sites were noteworthy with the catacombs being awesome.