- Hotel pickup included
- Led by a local guide
- Free drinks included
- Lunch included
Arrive in Cortona and enjoy a walk through the heart of this walled hill town, which is little changed since medieval times. Admire the ocher-colored houses that line the cobbled lanes and piazzas and listen as your guide recounts its history and recent surge in popularity for featuring in 'Under the Tuscan Sun', American writer Frances Mayes’ tales of life in Tuscany in the 1990s.
Perhaps enjoy some free time to look around the picture-postcard streets independently and maybe visit the 19th-century Cathedral of St Margaret (Basilica di Santa Margherita), perched on the hilltop.
Continue along the banks of Lake Trasimeno in Umbria, and stop for lunch at an authentic farmhouse restaurant. Enjoy a tempting 4-course of regional dishes, washed down with drinks (own expense). Please see the Itinerary for a sample menu.
With your appetite sated, drive through the rolling Chianti countryside to the charming hilltop town of Montepulciano, known for its ruby-red Vino di Nobile and Rosso di Montepulciano wines, produced here since early medieval times. Visit one of the town’s oldest rock-cut wine cellars and hear how the region’s wines are produced as you run your palate by some of the varieties.
After your wine sampling, return to Rome, where your tour ends with a drop-off at your hotel or a choice of points in the center.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Alternatively you can request hotel pick up ONLY for centrally located hotels (please contact the supplier for further info).
Hotel pickups commence approximately 30 - 60 minutes prior to this time, exact pickup time will be advised on reconfirmation.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Taste of Italy Food Tour to Chianti and Umbria from Rome in English
USD $128.98Pricing details
In the afternoon, drive the hills of the Chianti Region and reach the hilltop town of Montepulciano
- 4-course lunch
- Local guide
- Transport by air-conditioned coach (maximum 50 people)
- Hotel pick-up (only for certain hotels located in central Rome - to be reconfirmed by the supplier after booking)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Drinks with lunch (available to purchase)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Tour is suitable for wheelchair users provided passenger is traveling with a companion who can assist them on and off the bus. Wheelchairs will be stored in the luggage area of the bus.
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
Appetizers (choice of one):
- Mixed bruschetta with truffles, olive oil and spicy olive pate
- Assorted cheeses and salamis with wine
- Pasta with meat-based ragù (tomato) sauce
- Pici Aglioni (spaghetti-like pasta) with garlic
- Pasta Alla Norcina (pasta with sausages and mushrooms)
- Pasta with vegetable ragù (tomato) sauce
- Turkey roulade
- Chicken cacciatori (braised chicken with tomatoes, onions, herbs and peppers)
- Mixed grill
- Scallops with lemon and wine
- Baked potatoes
- Mixed salad
- Sautéed or grilled vegetables
- House dessert
- Fresh fruit
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Deborah K, June 2015
Awesome Tuscan countryside. Cortona was beautiful and a great place for shopping or just roaming the streets. Wine tour and tasting was wonderful!
Reviewed by: Adrienne P, June 2015
Alina was an excellent guide. The wine tour was amazing and I highly recommend it. She was very knowledgable about the locations we visited. Adamo is a great winemaker and we enjoyed buying a few bottles to take home to remind us of the wonderful time we had in Italy