Complete your adventure through Rotorua with a traditional Maori "hangi" feast. You'll travel by coach to Tamaki Maori Village where your local guide will escort you on a cultural journey to the "marae" (Maori village), the life force of New Zealand's indigenous people. Take the opportunity to engage in an evening of local customs including a traditional Maori dinner feast.
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Led by a local guide
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Dinner included
Your journey through time unfolds when your coach travels to a pre-European village set deep within the forest, 15 minutes from Rotorua. Let this 3.5-hour tour and your imagination take over as your guide instructs you on the protocol for visiting the marae. A chief is selected, a song is learnt and the eerie cry of the welcome is heard before you enter the world of the proud warriors of the ancient Maori.
You will experience the powhiri (welcome ceremony) before you enter the village, with crackling open fires in front of traditional whare (houses). You'll hear traditional Maori instruments and watch the daily activities of days gone by. In the wharenui (meeting house), a Rangiatea culture group offers a powerful display of haka song and dance. Then, as new friendships are forged, dine on a traditional hangi feast, where the food is cooked slowly beneath the ground in earth ovens.
This is an amazing re-enactment based on actual events from history, with real characters, traditional arts and crafts, powerful song and dance while enjoying an authentic Hangi feast.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from your selected Rotorua city hotel
Hinemaru Street, Rotorua
* You'll be booked for the 6:15pm show, if the show is full you'll be allocated to attend the 5pm or the 7:30pm show
Hotel pickups commence approximately 30 - 60 minutes prior to this time, exact pickup time will be advised on reconfirmation.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Rotorua Maori Hangi Dinner and Performance
- Hangi Dinner
- Tour escort/host
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Maori performance in traditional meeting house
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Camera and Video usage is permitted throughout the entire evening experience.
- Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- Please Note: You'll be booked for the 6:15pm show, if the show is full you'll be allocated to attend the 5pm or the 7:30pm show.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: RC, October 2016
An absolute must do while in Rotorua! The bus picked us up at our hostel and immediately began telling us how we as a tribe would be greeted by Maori elders and the protocol to follow. We were then taken in the village to learn more about Maori customs, weapons, games, and watch our tribesmen learn the Haka. We were entertained by beautiful Maori song and dance before a sumptuous feast with more song and celebration. It was a wonderful evening spent learning about a new culture with our warm, generous hosts.
Reviewed by: Kay L G, October 2016
Enjoyed every minute. Picked up at our hotel. All very professionally organised, interesting, audience participation, plenty of food. Ideal for all ages. Value for money.