Kyoto Morning Tour of Kinkakuji Temple, Nijo Castle and Kyoto Imperial Palace from Osaka
- Instant Confirmation
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- All entrance fees included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Rail Tour
- Hotel pickup included
Your comfortable coach delivers you to top attractions where you’ll hear expert commentary from your guide. Begin at Nijo Castle, a UNESCO World Heritage site built in 1603 to house Tokugawa shoguns for more than two centuries. Observe the solemn appearance of the castle's massive gate and stone walls surrounded by a moat, in contrast with its decorative interiors painted in gold leaf. You’ll find fantastic photo opportunities in any season amid the garden’s plum and cherry tree groves. Note: When Nijo Castle is closed you’ll visit Ryoan-ji Temple instead.
Next, walk around one of the world's most exquisite Japanese gardens at the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Kinkaku-ji Temple. View the revered Golden Pavilion before a visit to the Kyoto Imperial Palace. A residence of the imperial family until the capital was relocated to Tokyo in 1868, the palace clearly shows the Japanese taste for simplicity, purity and tranquility. You'll also view the Shishinden imperial state chamber where enthronement ceremonies took place.
Note: When the Kyoto Imperial Palace is closed, the tour will visit Kitano Shrine (Kitano Tenman-gu) instead. This famous shrine, known as the god of study, has been designated a national treasure. Many people here pray for success in passing school entrance examinations by touching a statue of ‘Ushi-san’ (Mr. Cow), which represents scholarship.
Enjoy a buffet lunch (own expense) and some shopping at the Kyoto Handicraft Center before your tour concludes with a return trip by JR rail back to Osaka Station, where you’ll make your own way back to your hotel.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from selected Osaka hotels
- 7:15am from Hotel Granvia Osaka
- 7am from Hilton Osaka
- 6:45am from Swissotel Nankai
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Tour concludes upon arrival at Osaka Station at approximately 2:30pm.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
- Hotel pickup (from selected Osaka hotels only)
- Round-trip JR rail ticket from Osaka to Kyoto, 30-minutes in each direction
- Admission Fees
- English-speaking guide
- Food and beverage
- Hotel drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- You will be asked for your full name, nationality, gender and age to follow the necessary procedures before entering Kyoto Imperial Palace
- Please note, hotel pickup is available from selected hotels in Osaka. If you cannot find your hotel on the list, please choose the nearest hotel offered
- Wheelchair accessible - if assistance is required, passenger must provide their own carer
- Some parts of pathway on this tour are gravel
- On Saturdays, Sundays, and national holidays, Kyoto Imperial Palace is closed. During these times, the tour will visit other destinations. The same is true of the period before and after the public viewing of the Kyoto Imperial Palace in April and October, the three days before and after Aoi Festival (including the festival, held on May 15), as well as when there is an Imperial Household event.
- On Tuesdays in January, July, August, and December, or Wednesday if Tuesday is a national holiday, Nijo Castle is closed. The tour will visit Ryoanji Temple or Daitokuji Daisen-in Temple instead.
If you cancel between 3 and 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: jameshan2001, June 2016
This tour was amazing!
Reviewed by: Charles W, June 2015
We enjoyed this tour from beginning to end!
The tour employees were with us every step of the way.
Their English was great. We understood everything they said.
In hindsight we should have booked with Viator in Toyko
instead of the Holland America Cruise Line tour.
It was very disappointing.
Next time we will certainly look into the Viator tours first.