This privately guided, full-day excursion out of Bangkok is a wonderful way to maximize your time to experience the amazing floating markets of Thailand as well as Kanchanaburi, home to the bridge made even more famous by the Hollywood movie starring Alec Guiness, The Bridge on the River Kwai.
- Instant Confirmation
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- Lunch included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Your journey commences with a leisurely drive from Bangkok, passing through salt fields and rice paddies before embarking aboard your long tail speed-boat on your journey to the floating markets. The floating markets are a fascinating experience, a complete contrast to how we shop for food in the west, and are made up of Thai style canoes laden with colorful and succulent fruits, vegetables, sweets and meats - gently plying their way through the canal, selling as they go. It is one of most popular Thai sightseeing experiences and not to be missed. If you want to take a closer look your local Thai guide will help you organize a local boat ride through the markets (optional extra).
You will then board your coach for the journey west to Kanchanaburi, home to the River Kwai and it's infamous bridge. The building of the bridge in 1943 was part of a wartime project to link existing Thai and Burmese railway lines to create a direct route from Bangkok, Thailand to Rangoon, Burma (now Myanmar) in an effort to support the Japanese occupation of Burma. Over 100,000 conscripted laborers and 12,000 prisoners of war died during the whole project.
Lunch will be taken at a local restaurant before visiting the bridge after which a visit is made to the new Thailand - Burma War Museum which is adjacent to the War Grave Cemetery. Combining the two attractions unfortunately means there is not enough time to take a train ride, before your journey back to Bangkok and your hotel.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
- Novotel Suvarnabhumi - Bang Na (near Suvarnabhumi Airport)
- Niran Grand - Bang Na
- Nototel Bang Na - Bang Na
- Royal Princess Srinakarin - Bang Na
- Amari Don Muang - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Airport Suite Bangkok - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Asia Airport - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Ebina House - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Rama Gardens - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Quality Suite Airport - Viphavadee (near Don Muang Airport)
- Miracle Grand Convention - Laksi
- Inn Come Sweet - Chatuchak
- Chaleena Princess - Ramkamheng
- Grand Hitech Tower Inn - Ekkamai
- Forum Park - Yannawa (far end of Nang Linchi)
- Rio Residence - Yannawa (far end of Nang Linchi)
- Royal Pacific Plaza - Rama 9
- Oasis - Huang Kwang
- P R Union - Thonburi
- Gold Orchid Bangkok - Suttisan
- And selected areas
Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
Returns to original departure point at approximately 4:00pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Private Tour: Floating Markets and Bridge on River Kwai Day Trip from Bangkok
- Transport by private vehicle
- River cruise to the floating market
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Local guide
- Entrance fees
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- Boat ride is not wheelchair accessible
- You must provide your hotel details at time of booking, failure to do so may result in cancellation
- Minimum 3 people per booking
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: David N, June 2016
Our tour guide Peter and driver Mallee were just wonderful, they made our 330km round trip a great experience. They were both very professional, friendly and full of great information and advice. We will highly recommend this tour to our friends and also on TripAdvisor.
Reviewed by: Pamala S, January 2016
Yes..you must do this. Amazing. The floating markets was fun and amazing .The River Kwai bridge
was also interesting in how this was put together.