Kayak out from La Jolla Shores and watch the magnificent whales as they migrate between Alaska and Baja, Mexico.
The whales' migration path is such that they come close La Jolla Shores. By paddling about a mile off-shore, you can catch these incredible animals, plus other marine mammals such as seals, sea lions and dolphins. There is no better way to experience the whale migration than from a kayak.
A once-in-a-lifetime experience!
Pricing is based on single kayak for one passenger and tandem kayak for two passengers.
This tour is recommended for ages 10 and up and all must be able to swim.
This tour is seasonal and operates from December 1 to March 31
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Avenida de la Playa
La Jolla CA 92037
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
10:00am Departure - Single
Departure time is 10:00am - check in at 9:30am, single kayak. Price is per person, per kayak.
USD $77.00Pricing details
10:00am Departure - Tandem
Departure time is 10:00am - check in at 9:30am, tandem kayak. Only 2 passengers allowed per kayak.
USD $55.00Pricing details
La Jolla Whale Watching Kayak Adventure
- Kayaks and paddles
- Life jackets
- Warm drinks (served after the paddle)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Items of personal nature
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- What to Bring: Expect to get wet. Wear shoes that can get wet (Tevas, tennis shoes, 'river shoes' or flip flops), bathing suit and/or drip dry shorts/shirt, hat, sun screen. Bring a 'leash' for valuable glasses. You can leave a towel and dry clothes at our shop or in your vehicle. Please DO NOT bring valuables and things that cannot get wet: cell phones, pagers, car keys, non-waterproof watches, non-waterproof cameras.
- Free parking is available on the side streets. The spots marked 'two-hour' parking are NOT RECOMMENDED (not enough time).
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required. Individuals who book for only 1 passenger will be required to pay price for second passenger directly to operator upon check-in.
- There is a weight limit of 375 pounds.
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Mariana B, March 2015
great experience, did not get to see many whales but it was fun
Reviewed by: Judy A, April 2013
This was a great morning out on the water; La Jolla has a lot to offer! March was a bit late for whale-watching however there is plenty of marine life (seals, sea lions, birds) and there is also the caves and coastline to explore. An intimate group of 3, we got full attention by our wonderful guide.