Once fitted out with all your equipment, take a short bus ride to the outskirts of the glacier. Your guide will take you on a Glacier Valley Walk that will take you up alongside the mighty Waiho River bed following the glaciers path of retreat in this remarkable landscape.
You will learn about the glacier's history, see what is left behind by this majestic giant, and learn the legend of Ka Roimata o Hinehukatere. Near the terminal face, you will cross over the public barriers and after a brief climb you will be rewarded with spectacular views of the rapidly changing terminal face of the glacier.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk, departs at 10am and returns at 1pm
Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk, departs at 2:15pm and returns at 5:15pm
Franz Josef Glacier
- Small-group tour
- 3-hour guided glacier tour
- Professional guide
- All equipment
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 6 years
- The glacier walks are quite challenging as the glacier is advancing and becoming very steep, and clients need to be fit and able. Refunds will not be available for clients who cannot participate on the day due to inappropriate fitness levels i.e. it is important you are selecting the right trip for your physical fitness ability. Guides reserve the right to curtail or cancel trips for clients whose fitness is not appropriate
- Operates in all weather conditions
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: cassiekroo, October 2016
Michael and Jon were very knowledgeable and helpful guides. They provided details on plants, regional information and history and changes in the glacier. Both guides also kindly went above and beyond to help with recommendations for local restaurants and other attractions in NZ. The tour includes a hike easy to moderate, with some rock edges and walking across streams and slight incline, full gear you'll appreciate the waterproof pants, boots and all weather jacket AND complimentary entry to the hot pools attached to the same bldg where you check in. The return trip was via the public trail flat, very easy so I had a chance to compare the guided vs. doing it on your own. The guided tour gets you a little closer to the glacier base and is more of a hike than a walk on a flat path. Plus the details on the retraction, changes in size and impacts across time was all interesting and worth investing in a guide the gear and hot pool alone is worth the price of the ticket. Both guides were highly service oriented and you can feel their passion toward exploring the glacier and surrounding area, with a keen focus on safety.
Reviewed by: Rebecca B, October 2016
Despite the weather on the day of our tour, it was amazing and the guide was friendly and knowledgable. Loved it!