Small-Group Sunset and Nighttime Stargazing Tour to the San Andreas Fault from Palm Springs
Enjoy an evening of stargazing in the California desert on this guided, 3-hour, small-group tour from Palm Springs. Explore a private, 800-acre preserve on the San Andreas Fault and learn about the desert’s plants, animals, history, geology and earthquakes in an open-air Jeep. Watch the transition from day to night as the remaining sunlight casts brilliant shadows and colors on the hills. Then enjoy a guided journey through the night sky. Granola snacks, bottled water and a pickup and drop-off from select hotels in Palm Desert, Indian Wells, and La Quinta are included.
- Family friendly
- Get off the beaten track in a 4x4
- Ideal choice for families
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Instant Confirmation
- Likely to Sell Out
Travel to a private, 800-acre preserve on the San Andreas Fault and visit a natural palm oasis. Explore the spectacular box and slot canyons and visit an ancient fossil bed as the Jeep winds through the labyrinth of geological cuts and canyons along the San Andreas Fault Zone. Learn about the desert’s plants, animals, history, geology and earthquakes and find out why the Cahuilla people lived on the San Andreas Fault.
As the sun sets, experience the almost deafening silence and beauty of the desert at twilight — away from all the lights and noise of the city. Witness the spectacular transition from day to night as the light casts brilliant shadows and colors on the hills. This is also an ideal time to see wildlife as this is when many desert animals become most active. When the sky darkens, enjoy a guided journey through the night sky as you view planets, stars, and constellations through the lens of a high powered telescope as your guide shares the mythology of the constellations.
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
- Offered on Wednesday and Thursday nights.
- Tour departure time varies throughout the season based on sunset. Departure time is approximately 1.5 hours before sunset. Exact time will be provided upon reconfirmation.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (select hotels)
- Open-air Jeep eco-tour
- All admissions & fees
- Granola snacks
- Bottled water
- Guide gratuity (optional)
- Food and drink (unless otherwise specified)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Closed-toe shoes, a hat and sunscreen are strongly advised
- As desert temperatures may vary, dressing in layers would be advised
- Sunscreen and hats are advised
- Please call the reservation's desk a day or two before your tour at (760) 324-5337 to confirm your pickup time and location. Failure to call, however, will NOT result in cancellation of the tour.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Tuckered Mama, September 2015
Highly recommend this tour! Our guide, Fox Robe was very informative and entertaining about a wide array of topics regarding this area of California. It was definitely more than expected! Shining moment: spotting a coyote and later hearing some!
Reviewed by: Karen W, June 2015
This tour had it all, lots of interesting information and geological formations. The stars at night were amazing. It was so clear. Our guide was professional, friendly and able to answer all the questions thrown his way.