Palm Springs Aerial Tramway
The world's largest rotating tramcars carry visitors from an elevation of 2,643 feet to a Mountain Station located at the 8,516-foot level of Mt San Jacinto State Park and Wilderness. It has the steepest vertical cable rise in the U.S. and the second steepest in the world. The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway is truly one of the greatest experiences in Southern California.
What is remarkable about the ride, aside from the breathtaking views of the valley, is the change in temperature. At the bottom of the tram route, the temperature on the desert floor can reach 120 degrees. Rising up through mountain canyons and chimneys, you arrive in an arctic-alpine forest with giant Ponderosa pines. The thrilling vertical ascent gives you views of the Chino Canyon and the San Jacinto Mountains from the front of the car, while the Sonoran Desert is splayed out below from the rear of the car. Look to the top of Chino Canyon, snap a few photos, then look behind and below as you move from one ecological zone to another.
At the Mountain Station, you can walk from the car into the large, 3-story facility which has a cocktail lounge, dining facilities, gift shop and observation decks. The station theater features "Building on a Dream", an 18-minute film on the history of the history and construction of the Tramway. At the top you can also explore the 14,000-acre Mt. San Jacinto State Park and Wilderness Area, which has 54 miles of hiking trails, rustic campgrounds, and granite outcroppings providing clear views of the cities below.
During the winter months “mid-November to mid-April” you can strap on snowshoes or cross-country skis and head into the packed powder of a winter wonderland at the Top of the Tram. There are so many ways to enjoy the snow in the San Jacinto Mountains but snowshoeing is perhaps the most exhilarating family adventure. The Tramway’s Adventure Center (snow conditions permitting) is open for snowshoe and cross-country ski rentals.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, located at: 1 Tramway Rd, Palm Springs, CA
- 10:00am - Monday-Friday
- 8:00am - Weekends and Holiday periods
Last car up is 8:00pm. Last car down is at 9:45pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Palm Springs Aerial Tramway
- Round-trip tram ride
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- There is parking in 13 paved lots near Valley Station. There is free shuttle service from parking lots to Valley Station entrance available weekends and holiday periods
- The Tramway is subject to delays and periodic shutdowns due to unforeseen circumstances and is not responsible for ticket refunds or the inability to redeem a voucher
- Tramway cars hold 80 people each and there are no seats. Passengers remain standing throughout the journey up the mountain
- Distance is approximately 12,800 feet, with a vertical ascent of 5,873 feet - 15 minutes travel time one way
- The tramway is known as a double reversible type of aerial tramway. Each car remains on one pair of track cables moving up and down without turning around. Each car serves as a counter balance to the other, the descending car is helping pull the ascending car up the mountain
- Wheelchair accessible
- Strollers are permitted on this tour
- During holiday periods, you may experience long lines. We recommend you travel outside of these peak times to fully enjoy everything the tramway and mountain have to offer.
Reviewed by: scott a, July 2016
A totally exceptional experience.....don't know why I waited 20 years
Reviewed by: Jose S, July 2016
Truly has been one of the best experiences of my life. Such a beautiful view and such helpful employees. I highly recommend this to everyone.