- Free snacks included
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- See the sights illuminated at night
- Dinner included
Enjoy a hot, picnic-style dinner (see sample menu in the Itinerary section below) at a Hawaiian ranch where you're provided with a warm, hooded parka. Then prepare to make the climb to the top of Mauna Kea, learning about the Big Island's cultural, natural and ecological history from your naturalist guide en route to Mauna Kea Observatory.
From the summit, enjoy views of Mauna Loa and see Maui's volcano, Haleakala, along with other special points of interest. Stand among some of the earth's most powerful telescopes at the Mauna Kea Observatory as you enjoy the sunset view.
After sunset, travel to the Mauna Kea Visitor Station at 9,000 feet (2,743 meters), where your guide sets up a telescope for a personal, entertaining and educational star party. Learn how Mauna Kea's unique geography draws scientists from all over the world to study the heavens, and also allows for incredible nighttime views of the stars.
Enjoy hot beverages and chocolate macadamia nut cookies as your guide gives a personal astronomy lesson before your return to Kona.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Departs at 1:55pm; Jan 5 to Jan 31 and Sep 26 to Oct 15
USD $217.71Pricing details
Departs at 2:10pm; Feb 1 to March 9 and Sep 8 to Sep 25
USD $217.71Pricing details
Mauna Kea Summit and Stars Small Group Adventure Tour
- Hooded parkas
- Hot picnic dinner
- Hot cocoa and cookies
- Private star show with telescope
- Local taxes
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 5 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Due to the high altitude; this tour is not suitable for those with respiratory, heart or circulatory conditions, poor health, or pregnancy
- Scuba divers should be aware of altitude dangers
- There is minimal walking on this tour, the maximum being about 150 yards
- We recommend that guests wear closed-toe walking shoes or hiking boots, long pants and bring a light sweatshirt or jacket
- Please advise your parka size (small, medium, large, x-large or xx-large) and choice of meal (BBQ Chicken, Grilled Chicken Breast or a Vegetarian Tofu Wrap) at time of booking . If you do not indicate this at the time of booking, you will be required to call and advise them of this information directly.
- The access road to Mauna Kea is four-wheel drive only, so it can be bumpy. The custom off-road motor coaches will get you to the top and back in safety and comfort. Motor coaches can carry a maximum of 12 passengers
- Snow is seasonal at Mauna Kea, with the heaviest snowfall occurring during the winter months
- Minimum age is 17 years
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
Hot Entrée Option
Barbecue chicken with mild Korean BBQ chili sauce (served hot)
- Warm homemade cornbread
- Cole slaw with blond raisins
Vegetarian Spinach Wrap (served cold)
(Wrap includes: hummus, lettuce, tofu, cucumber, tomato, carrot, avocado, bell peppers and tomatoes served with a side of sesame soy dressing)
- Glazed carrots
Grilled chicken breast with lemon garnish (served hot)
- Glazed carrots
- Chocolate brownies
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Takahiro H, December 2016
This was an excellent tour for a first-time Big Island visitor like my girlfriend and I. We thoroughly enjoyed every part of this tour. Our guide Hank was extremely knowledgeable and knew the entire place and route like the back of his hand. Driving up the rocky mountain side in a 4-wheel drive van, I knew that it wasn't something I wanted to try myself! He expertly guided us to the best spot, and gave a great star show. The stars were amazing, even though there were clouds in the sky, they were unnoticeable because the stars were so bright. I would recommend this tour to anyone who really loves star gazing.
Reviewed by: Carol S, November 2016
Highly recommend this tour. Nate our guide was a wealth of knowledge and very professional. The sunset was amazing and the stargazing left one speechless!