- All entrance fees included
- Editor's Pick
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Treat a loved one on a special occasion
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
Due to the nature of this special-access tour, the itinerary changes each time. Access to the secret rooms varies and is based on availability, but most tours include the impressive Bramante Staircase (Scala del Bramante), which is actually a ramp on the corner of the Pope's Palace. You’ll also most likely visit the Room of Gold (Sala degli Ori), an opulent, rarely seen room that holds a dazzling collection of papal gold jewelry and precious Etruscan jewels.
The Niccoline Chapel (Cappella Niccolina) is another secret room most likely seen during your tour. Every bit as beautiful as the Sistine Chapel, this secret room is adorned with gold brought back from Christopher Columbus' travels, and frescoes by Fra Angelico, a Renaissance painter whose mesmerizing artwork pre-dates Michelangelo's.
In addition to the closed rooms, see many of the Vatican Museums’ classic attractions. As your expert guide entertains you with tales of Vatican art, power and treachery, admire the statue of Apollo Belvedere and other renowned monuments. Visit Raphael’s Rooms, the public part of the papal apartments in the Palace of the Vatican, and stroll through the Pinecone Courtyard.
Your tour ends on a high note with private access to the Sistine Chapel for your small group. After the doors close to the public, you'll have 30 minutes inside this incredible (and empty!) chapel. Speaking is typically forbidden, but during this private experience, your guide will explain Michelangelo's stunning ceiling fresco, which depicts scenes from Genesis, and his wall fresco The Last Judgement.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
This tour sells out regularly so book now to save your space.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Viator VIP Access: Sistine Chapel Private Viewing and Small-Group Tour of the Vatican's Secret Rooms
- Entrance fee
- Skip-the-line entry
- After-hours access to the Sistine Chapel
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- No large bags/tripods/umbrellas/backpacks are permitted in the Vatican and must be checked in. Only very small purses are allowed. Please do not bring these items as you will need to leave the tour early to retrieve them at the entrance
- Due to the nature of this special-access tour, the itinerary changes each time. Access to the secret rooms varies and is based on availability
- Backpacks, tripods and big umbrellas must be left inside a cloakroom on entering the Vatican Museums. To reduce any disruption for your group, we recommend that these items are not taken on this tour
- Apollo Belvedere
- Chiaramonti Museum
- Sistine Chapel, home to artwork by Michelangelo including The Creation of Adam and The Last Judgment
- Gallery of Maps
- Gallery of the Candelabra
- Gallery of the Tapestries
- Pinecone Courtyard
- Raphael's Rooms
- Bramante Staircase (Scala del Bramante)
- Niccoline Chapel (Cappella Niccolina)
- Room of Gold (Sala degli Ori)
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: John U, October 2016
Our host was filled with interesting insights into the art and history of the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel. This tour was the highlight of an amazing two weeks in Italy.
Reviewed by: Eric R, October 2016
This is one of the best tours of my life anywhere. I mean that. Shannon was a joy to listen to with a slight southern Alabama/Italian drawl. She was quick in the accessing of the areas we were to see, Obviously knew her subjects of discussion very well. The Sistine chapel with the quiet of only twelve other people and two guards was a highlight of my Italy tour. We also saw the secret Vatican rooms and the Raphael rooms by the great contemporary of Michelangelo. I cannot recommend this tour well enough. Overlook the cost and realize that you will see what very few others have seen or ever will see.