On board your jet-powered, multi-level catamaran with an underwater camera and both indoor and outdoor seating, cruise through the Bay of Islands — named for its nearly 150 islands — heading toward Cape Brett, the far eastern tip in the bay. Admire great views from the boat's spacious decks while you listen to the crew share information about the region’s history and ecology. Keep your eyes open for marine life like seals, dolphins, whales, penguins and sea birds.
Your cruise isn’t just for sightseeing, though — it’s a Cream Trip, a tradition that dates back to the early 1900s when a boat was used to transport cream and other supplies between the islands and the mainland. This means you’ll get up-close views of sandy beaches and island homes as you stop to deliver mail and other supplies to local residents.
When you reach Cape Brett, check out its noted landmark, a natural arch known as Hole in the Rock. Then your captain will let you know if the weather and water conditions allow for swimming in an area where dolphins like to hang out (optional, must be pre-booked; own expense). If you’re interested, you can use a provided wetsuit and snorkeling gear.
About halfway through the day, stop on Urupukapuka Island for 1.5 hours of free time to take a scenic walk, go for a swim or relax on the beach. There is a full bar on board as well as tea, coffee and snacks available for purchase (own expense). Limited lunch options are also available but must be pre-ordered at least 24-hours prior to departure.
Your cruise ends with return to Russell and Paihia.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
9:40am from Russell Wharf
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Best of the Bay Supercruise - Original Cream Trip
- Luxury air-conditioned catamaran
- Live commentary on board
- Gratuities (optional)
- Lunch (lunch must be pre-ordered at least 24 hours prior to your departure)
- Food and drinks (drinks and limited snacks are available to purchase on board)
- Swimming with dolphins (optional; weather permitting; NZ$30 per person, payable at the time; includes use of wetsuit, snorkeling gear and hot shower on board. Please pre-book to avoid disappointment as availability may be limited.)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Vehicles are collapsible-wheelchair accessible, however the driver is unable to assist passengers boarding and disembarking due to insurance regulations
- Departures and itineraries may be subject to sea and weather conditions
- It is recommended that you bring a jacket (it can get cool on the boat), hat and sunglasses; if you plan to swim, bring a swimsuit and towel
- If you wish to pre-book lunch or swimming, please call the local operator on the number provided on your confirmation voucher. Please note lunch options are limited
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Carol, February 2017
Great trip . Plenty to see love those dolphins. Friendly crew. Excellent value.
Reviewed by: David T, February 2017
Wonderful day touring the islands. The boat crew were excellent