- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Led by a local guide
- Buffet dinner included
- Ideal choice for families
- Flexibility to customize your itinerary to your own preferences
- Choice of several departures throughout the day
- All necessary equipment included
- Free port pickup and drop-off included
After pickup from the cruise port, your guide takes you on a brief city tour of Juneau, Alaska’s capital. From there, continue to Gold Creek and Last Chance Basin and soak up all there is to know about gold panning, the simplest form of gold mining. After learning the ropes, try it on your own — finders, keepers! You’ll receive an Orelove Brothers Gold Claim Certificate as proof of your discoveries.
Then, travel by bus to the traditional Alaskan salmon bake. Your lunch or dinner (depending on your choice of tour time) includes grilled salmon, Cheechako chicken, Chilkoot baked beans, Tongass wild-rice pilaf, Alyeska au gratin potatoes and more. Eat as much as you like, and then toast marshmallows by the fire.
After your meal, you can check out the historic Wagner Mine and peek inside its entrance, or take a snapshot by the Salmon Creek waterfall. But don’t miss the chance to watch Doug Chilton, a Tlingit Master Carver, and his son, work on two 10-foot-tall (3-meter-tall) cedar totem poles and silver jewelry. Feel free to ask them questions about their craft, and pick up original works of art from the gift shop.
You can take the shuttle back to the port whenever you wish. Buses run based off of cruise schedules for the day.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return to the Juneau port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Gold Panning in Gold Creek
- All necessary equipment
- Local guide for gold panning
- Buffet lunch or dinner depending on option selected
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers MUST provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- Children 13-17 must have a signed parental consent form to participate in the absence of a parent or guardian
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Mark R, July 2013
Kids had a great time panning for gold and the food at the Salmon bake was fantastic. Our guide, Tom, was a wonderful and entertaining individual who took great care of us. It was a great day and well worth the money!
Reviewed by: Elizabeth P, October 2012
Panning for gold was a great experience. The Salmon Bake was awesome. We even saw the salmon swimming up stream to spawn (mid Aug) food was good, nice picnic grove atmosphere.