- Small-group tour by minibus
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Skip the line
- All entrance fees included
Hear the history and then head back above ground to stroll to the Appian Way. One of the world’s longest roads, it’s also known for being home to the catacombs – nearly 186 miles (300km) of underground tunnels that were used as burial chambers by Rome’s early Christians. Skip past any entrance lines and go below ground with your guide to visit the largest one – Domitilla Catacombs (Catacomb di Santa Domitilla) – and marvel at the treasures that lie deep beneath the city. Christianity was once banned in Rome and so the catacombs provided a peaceful sanctuary where they could worship. Marvel at the Christian wall paintings and see an underground 12th-century church, too.
Head back above ground and walk to your tour’s final highlight, the Basilica of San Clemente. A one-of-a-kind church, the basilica actually comprises three buildings – from the12th centuries – each built on top of the other. Skip the lines outside and as you explore with your guide, you’ll see different slices of Rome’s history, noting how the architecture gets grander in each building. Admire magnificent Renaissance and 11th-century frescoes and pose for pictures under an eye-catching mosaic.
Your tour finishes inside the Basilica of San Clemente, and you can stay longer if you wish to soak up the splendor of the church at your own pace.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Crypts and Roman Catacombs Small Group Walking Tour
- Entrance fees: Capuchin Crypt, Domitilla Catacombs and Basilica di San Clemente
- Skip-the-line entry to Domitilla Catacombs and Basilica di San Clemente
- Professional guide
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A dress code is required for entry into some of the sites on this tour. Knees and shoulders must be covered
- No photos can be taken inside the venue during the tour
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Kate, United States of America, December 2016
This tour was excellent! The sites were amazing places to visit and our guide was very knowledgeable with an awesome sense of humor and engaging personality. I highly recommend this tour!
Reviewed by: stevehouston1, December 2016
A very interesting tour, including a bus to get to the catacombs farther away. No pictures inside catacombs.