- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Scenic helicopter flight
- All necessary equipment included
Soar right by towering peaks, over deep crevasses and past sparkling waterways. Admire the pristine blue color of the ice, and land high up on the glacier between two icefalls, where your 2-hour guided hike begins. Follow your experienced guide into the spectacular icefall terrain, usually seen only by skilled mountaineers.
Climb in and around ice caves, see dramatic pinnacles and seracs, and learn about the history and current conditions of the Franz Josef Glacier. Enjoy amazing photo ops of this unique landscape, and then re-board the helicopter for the ride back to town.
Safety and helicopters:
The local tour operator has an excellent safety record, practices rigid assessments and uses exclusive high-quality equipment. Your safety and enjoyment come first.
The helicopter fleet consists predominately of AS355 twin-engine Squirrels, which seat six passengers plus the pilot. They are ideal for scenic flights, with an open-plan cabin that provides excellent views for all passengers. The local tour operator has the highest-level certification from the Civil Aviation Authority for scenic helicopter tours; this involves regular monitoring and audits of all aspects of the operations.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
All flight times are approximate and subject to change due to weather conditions and weight restrictions.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
9:30am departure; summer season only (October - April)
11am departure; winter season only (May - September)
12pm departure; summer season only (October - April)
1:30pm departure; winter season only (May - September)
2:30pm departure; summer season only (October - April)
Heli Hiking Franz Josef
- Helicopter ride
- Professional guide
- 2-hour hike on the glacier
- Use of gear (glacier boots, talons, socks, ice axe, waterproof jacket)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- Minimum age is 8 years
- It is recommended that you wear sturdy footwear and bring warm layers due to cold temperatures
- Moderate level of fitness is required
- Subject to favorable weather conditions; if canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Please note: A guided walk among ice caves is usually part of the tour but all tour activities are dependent on the weather
- Maximum weight limit of 120kg per person
- Warm upper-body clothing (preferably 3-4 layers)
- Leggings or light trousers, although shorts are acceptable
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Waterproof jacket (provided if you don't have one)
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: WARREN M, May 2016
We arrived well before the scheduled time my 2 Daughters where so looking forward to walking and climbing a Glacier.
We where weighed kitted up and placed clothing on. Then we where told we could not go as the ice was too slippery for my youngest to go on. I am glad that safety is the first concern and the company did go out of there way to get us on at a later time.
I cannot rate the trip but my rating is for the company.
I am sure the trip would have been amazing.
Reviewed by: Mike C, May 2016
Well organized, good guide, great experience.