InterIslander offers daily ferry services across Cook Strait linking New Zealand's North and South Islands. Cruise across in 3-hours whilst traveling in comfort and style as you savor one of the world's most scenic ferry journeys.The InterIslander is an experience not be missed.
An edition of the US magazine Wine Spectator, described the InterIslander trip as 'one of the most beautiful ferry rides in the world' and the scenery was described as 'jaw droppingly stunning!.
At one end is the beautiful harbor of New Zealand's capital city Wellington (North Island). The cruise across Wellington Harbor offers a unique view of this exciting city. Nestled between surrounding hills and the glistening harbor; Wellington is a vibrant city which has retained the charm of its early colonial heritage. Wellington is alive with some of New Zealand's finest restaurants, shopping and theatre - including the spectacular Te Papa Museum of New Zealand.
Out of Wellington is the journey across Cook Strait which itself has a dramatic beauty all of its own. Both islands can be viewed, including the magnificent Kaikoura Ranges and there is often the chance to see wildlife such as seabirds, dolphins, seals, whales and orca.
Picton; at the other end of the crossing is reached after cruising through the picturesque Queen Charlotte Sound in the heart of the Marlborough Sounds. The sparkling clear waters and lush forests of the Sounds is a breathtaking introduction to the South Island.
Note: This InterIslander option does not allow travel with your vehicle.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Ferry concludes at the InterIslander Terminal in Picton
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Ferry departing Wellington at 8:30am arriving Picton at 12pm
USD $56.95Pricing details
Ferry departing Wellington at 9am arriving Picton at 12:30pm
Ferry departing Wellington at 2:45pm arriving Picton at 5:55pm
Ferry departing Wellington at 5pm arriving Picton at 8:30pm
InterIslander Ferry - Wellington to Picton
- One way InterIslander ferry trip from Wellington to Picton
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability.
- Apart from designated areas, smoking is not permitted inside the ship.
- The InterIslander fleet has 3 vessels: The Kaitaki (carrying up to 1600 passengers), The Aratere (carrying up to 350 passengers) and the Arahura (carrying up to 1000 passengers).
- From Wellington, some InterIslander ferry sailing's connect with the Overlander and Northerner train services to Auckland and the Bay Express train service to Napier. From Picton, some InterIslander ferry sailing's connect with the TranzCoastal train service to Kaikoura and Christchurch.
- Check in at the terminal at least 45 minutes prior to departure time
Facilities Available Onboard:
- Cafes and a food court
- Fast-food takeaway bar
- Shop for travel needs, souvenirs, magazines and confectionery
- Movie theater
- Video games parlor
- Lounge and tavern bar
- Observation deck
- Information counter for travel advice, train bookings and foreign currency exchange
- Children's play area and nursery
- Private work desks
- During off-peak sailing's, some facilities are only open for a limited time
IMPORTANT: Surcharge applies to additional services including extra luggage, large sporting equipment, traveling with pets. The option of carrying additional bicycles and sporting gear (for example, canoes or surfboards), is an additional cost of $15 per item. If you are traveling with dogs, kennels are provided at a cost of $15, ensuring your pet's comfort and safety, and your peace of mind. There are a limited number of kennels available.
Check-in luggage -The luggage allowance is two (2) items of baggage per person. Additional baggage items may be carried, subject to availability and on the payment of an additional charge. Larger baggage, including backpacks, must be checked in at the Wellington terminal. Baggage can then be collected from the carousels at the port of arrival. InterIslander will not accept individual baggage items which exceed either 32 kilograms in weight, or 200 linear centimeters (height and length and width) in dimension. For safety reasons, there are no exceptions to the weight restriction. However, the restriction in dimension is relaxed for sporting equipment.
- Infants aged 1 year and under travel free of charge.
- Children aged 2 to 14 years inclusive qualify for the child rate.
- Youths aged 18 years and under are not permitted to travel in Club Class.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Maureen B, January 2017
This was a great way to get from one island to the other. The day we travelled we were lucky as the sea was very calm. The whole experience was first class from check in to the collection of our luggage.
Reviewed by: Monique S, January 2017