Numbers are limited to 20 people on this St Peter's Basilica tour, ensuring you'll enjoy a more personalized experience.
- All entrance fees included
- Choice of several departures throughout the day
- Fully narrated tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
Your small-group tour starts in the square, and as you walk over from the colonnade to the terrace in front of the church, your guide will tell you tales of Bernini, whose work had so much impact on the Vatican as you see it today. See several sites of significance, including the northern fountain and the impressive obelisk that dates back to 13th-century BC Egypt.
Next, leave St Peter's Square and head inside the tour’s main attraction -- St Peter's Basilica. Reputedly built on the very ground where St Peter the Apostle was crucified, the church started out as a humble chapel to which Christian pilgrims flocked.
Over time, the church has evolved to become as ornate as it is sacred, home to priceless works of Baroque and Renaissance art. After skipping the long lines, head straight in and gaze up in wonder at the incredible cupolone -- the church’s dome -- created by colorful Renaissance sculptor Michelangelo. You'll also see his beautiful La Pietà sculpture, as well as various mosaic works.
Stop at the statue of St Peter and kiss or rub his foot for a blessing, before walking over to the tomb of Pope John Paul II. As you continue through the church, your guide will show you Bernini’s lavish, bronze canopy altar, known as the baldacchino. Positioned right in the center of the building, the altar marks the tomb of St Peter underneath.
Your tour finishes in St Peter's Basilica, where you can stay if you want to spend more time exploring this sacred place independently.
Click on 'View Additional Info' to download the map of the meeting point.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Skip the Line: St Peter's Basilica Walking Tour with English-speaking guide, departing at 9:30am
Skip the Line: St Peter's Basilica Walking Tour with English-speaking guide, departing at 11:30am
Skip the Line: St Peter's Basilica Walking Tour with English-speaking guide, departing at 12:30pm
Skip the Line: St Peter's Basilica Walking
Skip the Line: St Peter's Basilica Walking Tour with English-speaking guide, departing at 2:30pm
Skip the Line: St Peter's Basilica Tour
- Skip-the-line entrance
- Guide or audio-guide, depending on option selected
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- Wheelchair no available
- Please note: Audio-guided tour is not available on Wednesday and Sunday mornings
- Please note: Due to religious celebrations, the venue might be not accessible on the day of your tour; it is recommended that you contact the local operator to avoid any inconvenience
- It is recommended that you download or print the map of the meeting point (click on 'View additional info' at the end of the tour description)
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Kathy S, September 2016
Spectacular tour, loved every minute of it, very informative. The tour guides were very friendly and nice. Well worth it.
Reviewed by: Martin A, September 2016
This was a fantastic tour with an awesome tour with a knowledgeable guide.