- All entrance fees included
- Day trip (destination A to B)
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
- Small group ensures personal service
This holy site is home to sleeping Vishnu, the Hindu god of preservation. Observe the magnificently carved stone idol of sleeping Vishnu from the outer periphery of the pond (non-Hindus are not allowed inside), on which Vishnu seems to float. Be sure to have your camera ready as your guide tells the interesting story of this venerated religious figure.
You’ll then embark on a moderate 9-mile (15-km) hike into the surrounding farmlands and through Kathmandu’s nearest forest reserve, Shivapuri National Park. After registering at the park entry gate, take a pleasant 2.5-hour walk through the woods to a hidden Buddhist monastery, Nagi Gompa.
Hike uphill 2.5 miles (4 km) to reach this site and pause to enjoy sweeping views of the Kathmandu valley below. This spot is great for bird watching, and on a clear day, you may be able to see the snow-capped Himalayas! You may also purchase snacks here, or feel free to enjoy your own pre-packed lunch.
Once you’ve snapped some unforgettable photos, descend down the hill and continue hiking 1 hour through the woodlands, past waterfalls and out of the forest until you reach Sundarijal, where you’ll visit a local bazaar.
After your hike, hop back on the bus and begin your 1-hour journey back to Kathmandu.
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Sleeping Vishnu in Budhanilkantha
- Entrance fees
- Local guide
- Round-trip fare on local transport
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- A large amount of walking is involved; comfortable walking/trail shoes are recommended
- Please note that there has been significant damage to some of the sites visited on this tour due to the earthquakes in April and May 2015
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Aura Sebyl S, September 2013
Nice and close to the city. Monastery is cool!
Reviewed by: c j b, December 2014
Lovely hike, quite steep in parts, started at a Hindu temple with large reclining goddess in a pond, ascended through beautiful mostly unspoilt rainforest to Buddhist monastery at the peak, with monks praying and chanting, and later served us an authentic lunch, then down through more open forest with goats, monkeys etc to a couple more buddhist monasteries; our guide was a genuine Sherpa; an enjoyable day out