Enjoy in-depth attention from your guide on this small-group tour limited to 20 people.
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Led by a local guide
- Lunch included
After roughly 1.5 hours, arrive at Rose Valley, so named for its rose-colored rocks that change hue through the day. Enjoy a leisurely walk in this beautiful valley, passing its mushroom-shaped fairy chimneys, jagged peaks, and leafy vineyards and orchards. On route, visit the valley’s cave churches, some dating back to the 8th or 9th centuries, and listen to tales of how they were used by early monks.
Next, visit ‘old’ Çavuşin, an abandoned rock village known for its old Christian churches and houses. Take photos of the eerie houses, and gaze at the Basilica of St John the Baptist that sits on a cliff high above the village.
Stop for lunch at a local restaurant (see the Itinerary for a sample menu) and then Zelve into the town of Ortahisar, to view its crowning glory, Ortahisar Castle. Marvel at this unique 295-foot (90-meter) high fortress, with its honeycomb of rock caves carved during Byzantine times. Explore some of the burrowed-out chambers and storage rooms and soak up the panoramic views of the town below.
Drive to Kaymakli Underground City, one of the best-preserved in Cappadocia. Roam this subterranean network of homes, stables, cellars and kitchens and learn how it was used by early Christians to escape persecution.
Next, visit Pigeon Valley, known for its pigeon houses carved from the cliffs and rocks. Ogle the spectacular dovecotes and learn how the locals used to house their pigeons here to farm their droppings for fertilizer, and later, return to Kayseri Airport for your flight to Istanbul. Your tour ends with a hotel drop-off this evening.
Please note: Ortahisar Castle is currently undertaking renovation, entrance will not be permitted).
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
For bookings up to 30 days before travel
USD $345.00Pricing details
For last-minute bookings (30 days to 2 days) before travel
USD $465.00Pricing details
Cappadocia In One Day Small-Group Tour from Istanbul: Ozkonak Underground City, Uchisar and Open-Air Museum in Goreme
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Round-trip flights from Istanbul to Kayseri International Airport
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Local guide
- Entrance fees
- Food and drink, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 30 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- A small amount of walking is involved
- Passport name, number, expiry and country is required at time of booking for all participants
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Turkish meze (small appetizers) of breads, aubergine, artichokes, stuffed vine leaves, meatballs and yoghurt with cucumber and garlic
- Chicken, lamb or beef kebabs
- Baklava (filo pastry layers filled with nuts and sweetened with honey or syrup) and coffee
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Neels E, July 2016
I really want to commend Hufzullah Ekmen as well as all the drivers for the excellent services and safe driving they provided during the private tour to Cappadocia July 11, 2016. Their hospitality was exceptional and is greatly appreciated. This pleasant trip will be remembered for a long, long time. Also a big thank you to Ferudan Bayram for his administrative support in Istanbul.
Reviewed by: Nicole H, June 2016
Wonderful day, beautiful place, great tour guide and food.