- Comprehensive tour by bus/coach
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
Follow in St Francis’ footsteps on a walking tour of the town and visit the Basilica of San Francesco with its famous Giotto frescoes. Gaze in wonder at the artwork and learn about their medieval depictions of St Francis’ life in Assisi. The town was also the home of St Clare, who became one of St Francis’ first true followers. Visit the Convent of Santa Chiara dedicated to her, and then make your way back to your coach to leave Assisi.
On the town’s outskirts lies Santa Maria degli Angeli, home to a beautiful 9th-century church that’s believed to be the place of worship once favored by St Francis. Take some time to wander around the aisles with your tour leader, and then continue back into Tuscany.
In the early afternoon, stop in the hilltop town of Cortona, famous as the setting of Under the Tuscan Sun, a 2003 movie based on a memoir of the same title. Use your free time in Cortona to find a restaurant for lunch (own expense), or perhaps sightsee independently. Landmarks to look out for include the imposing Palazzo Comunale and Santa Margherita Sanctuary, a place of worship that was built to celebrate Cortona’s patron saint.
Meet your tour leader at the prearranged time, and then travel back through the Tuscan hills to central Florence where your tour finishes.
Please note: the order of the visits to Assisi and Cortona are subject to change on the day of your tour.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Assisi and Cortona Day Trip
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Professional tour leader
- Assisi walking tour
- Entrance to Basilica of San Francesco, Convent of Santa Chiara and the church in Santa Maria degli Angeli
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 14 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Randy P, United States of America, November 2016
Excellent tour guide the weather was not very good but we made due. Assisi and Cortona were amazing.
Reviewed by: Andrew G, September 2016
Beautiful towns. Very interesting to learn more about St. Francis of Assisi.
Well paced tour. Highly recommended.