Travel by road on a full day tour from Christchurch to Mount Cook, Australasia's highest mountain. Along the way you'll pass through the spectacular scenery of the Canterbury Plains, view MacKenzie Basin, Lakes Tekapo and Pukari and Tasman Glacier. Lunch at the Hermitage Hotel as well as morning and afternoon snacks are also included on your guided tour.
- Instant Confirmation
- Comprehensive tour by bus/coach
- Lunch included
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
A short stop at either the Tin Shed (an old shearing shed selling discount sweaters) or at Barkers Winery for tastings of wines, sauces and jams. Continuing through the foothills of the Southern Alps from Geraldine to Fairlie and through the MacKenzie Basin, with its brown snowgrass-covered landscape which has an almost desert like aspect, to Lake Tekapo. There is the opportunity to take an idyllic photograph of the Church of the Good Shepherd on Lake Tekapo with its backdrop of magnificent alpine scenery.
Next, it's onto Lake Pukaki where the Tasman Valley opens into the MacKenzie Basin with Mount Cook and the surrounding snow covered peaks in the background. Lunch is at the Hermitage in the Mount Cook National Park. Following lunch an alpine flight over the National Park can be arranged with Mount Cook Airlines (optional at additional cost, payable direct). Glacier landings by ski planes are also available (optional at additional cost, payable direct).
Next, you'll explore the Tasman Glacier where a twenty minute climb by foot will take you to the top of the terminal moraine, this vantage point provides views of both the Tasman Glacier and the newly formed Lake Tasman. Return by coach in the afternoon, stopping at the Canterbury high country town of Fairlie for late afternoon tea.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from selected Christchurch hotels
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Returns to original departure point at approximately 9:00pm
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Explore Mount Cook from Christchurch
- Glacier climb
- Use of equipment
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Live commentary on board
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Local guide
- Morning and afternoon tea
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- The walk up the terminal moraine of the Tasman Glacier is subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Peter J, February 2014
This was a good trip , we saw some fantastic sights. This was a small group tour, with our selves and two other couples. Stopping at Lake Tekapo was beautiful, we did see half of Mount Cook from a distance, unfortunately the clouds came in when we were at Mount Cook and did not get to see the mountain, but that is Mother Nature for you. This was a good day but a long day.
Reviewed by: LYNN G, Australia, July 2010