Get to know the Jewish culture and heritage of Budapest!
One of the largest Jewish communities in Europe!
The tour includes: an interior visit to the Dohány Street Synagogue, which is the largest in Europe, a ticket to the Jewish Museum, which has an important and unique collection of art pieces from Hungary and Eastern Europe; a visit to the Holocaust Cemetery where thousand were buried during the ghetto times; and the Raul Wallenberg Memorial Park with the Tree of Life which was created to remind us of those who perished in the war. We also pass by the Heroes temple, which was built in memory of those who gave their lives during WWII.
Then - to understand the present - we continue our walk to the newly rejuvenated Jewish Quarter, which was used as a ghetto during the WWII and it hosts synagogues, monuments, kosher restaurants, and shops. We will see the Carl Lutz Memorial and you will walk through the gate of the ghetto on Madach Square. We use public transportation to the conclusion of our tour: the moving memorial of the Shoes on the Danube Bank. The sixty pairs of shoes commemorates the victims were shot into the Danube during WWI.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Enter important Jewish sites including the Great Synagogue
- Guide will meet you at hotel
- Private English speaking guide
- Entry fees to Great Synagogue and Jewish museum
- Public transport during the tour
- Entrance fees, unless specified
- Food and beverages except where noted
- Transport from the conclusion point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Important notice: Please wear modest clothing (covering shoulders and thighs) when visiting the Synagogue. Male visitors can not enter with bare head
- Due to the restrictions set by the Synagogue, our guides are not allowed to fully guide or talk loudly inside. Guides will give full descriptions before entering the Synagogue and be on hand throughout the visit to answer questions discreetly
- Participants will need to be fit for light continuous walking, for up to 3,5 hours. Tour goes in all weather conditions so please dress appropriately
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: P. C. B, October 2016
Our guide Tomas was informative, pleasant and led us on a nice walk through Jewish Budapest and the garden of the Synagogue. Inadvertently, we visited on 9 / 11. We were inside the synagogue and the designated guide in English had barely started to brief us when there was a security alert an unclaimed bag and we were obliged to vacate though allowed in the garden, where incidentally, a modern memorial sculpture stands, the work of Tomas's Grandfather !
Reviewed by: honey, October 2016
Thomas was a very excellent guide, with knowledge of the area, and the history of all that we saw.