- Free snacks included
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- See the sights illuminated at night
- Dinner included
Enjoy a hot, picnic-style dinner (see sample menu below) at a Hawaiian ranch where you're provided with a warm, hooded parka. Then prepare to make the climb to the top of Mauna Kea, learning about the Big Island's cultural, natural and ecological history from your naturalist guide en route to Mauna Kea Observatory.
From the summit, enjoy views of Mauna Loa and see Maui's volcano, Haleakala, along with other special points of interest. Stand among some of the earth's most powerful telescopes at the Mauna Kea Observatory as you enjoy the once-in-a-lifetime sunset view.
After sunset, travel to the Mauna Kea Visitor Station at 9,000 feet (2,743 meters), where your guide sets up a telescope for a personal, entertaining and educational star party. Learn how Mauna Kea's unique geography draws scientists from all over the world to study the heavens, and also allows for incredible nighttime views of the stars.
Enjoy hot beverages and chocolate macadamia nut cookies as your guide gives a personal astronomy lesson before your return to Kona.
Picnic Dinner Menu (please specify at booking):
Hot Entrée Option
Barbecue chicken with mild Korean BBQ chili sauce (served hot)
- Warm homemade cornbread
- Cole slaw with blond raisins
Vegetarian Spinach Wrap (served cold)
(Wrap includes: hummus, lettuce, tofu, cucumber, tomato, carrot, avocado, bell peppers and tomatoes served with a side of sesame soy dressing)
- Glazed carrots
Grilled chicken breast with lemon garnish (served hot)
- Glazed carrots
- Chocolate brownies
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Departs at 1:25pm; Nov 11 - Dec 8
Departs at 1:40pm; Dec 9 to Jan 4 and Oct 16 to Nov 10
Departs at 1:55pm; Jan 5 to Jan 31 and Sep 26 to Oct 15
Departs at 2:10pm; Feb 1 to March 9 and Sep 8 to Sep 25
Mauna Kea Summit and Stars Small Group Adventure Tour
- Hooded parkas
- Hot picnic dinner
- Hot cocoa and cookies
- Private star show with telescope
- Local taxes
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 5 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Due to the high altitude; this tour is not suitable for those with respiratory, heart or circulatory conditions, poor health, or pregnancy
- Scuba divers should be aware of altitude dangers
- There is minimal walking on this tour, the maximum being about 150 yards
- We recommend that guests wear closed-toe walking shoes or hiking boots, long pants and bring a light sweatshirt or jacket
- Please advise your parka size (small, medium, large, x-large or xx-large) and choice of meal (BBQ Chicken, Grilled Chicken Breast or a Vegetarian Tofu Wrap) at time of booking . If you do not indicate this at the time of booking, you will be required to call and advise them of this information directly.
- The access road to Mauna Kea is four-wheel drive only, so it can be bumpy. The custom off-road motor coaches will get you to the top and back in safety and comfort. Motor coaches can carry a maximum of 12 passengers
- Snow is seasonal at Mauna Kea, with the heaviest snowfall occurring during the winter months
- Minimum age is 17 years
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Jim R, September 2016
We thoroughly enjoyed this tour. It is timed just right so that you have enough time to have a good look around the summit before sunset but not too long that you get really cold.
Our guide Brett was excellent. He was very safety conscious whilst we were up at the summit checking that no one was feeling the effects of the high altitude. Also he was very knowledgable about Mauna Kea and the Stars. He made it all very interesting and we learnt a lot.
We highly recommend this tour.
Annette and Jim, Australia
Reviewed by: Cassandra L, September 2016
Not only was the view from the summit spectacular, our guide, Nate, was so knowledgeable about the night sky that we had an amazing time with his explanation of space. My husband had a hard time with the high altitude, but Nate was prepared to accommodate him with oxygen readily available, which allowed him to enjoy the experience. This tour was not only a must do, we also felt safe and was well taken care of throughout.