- Day trip (destination A to B)
- Small-group tour by minibus
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
- Small group ensures personal service
After you cross the Highland boundary faultline,the scenery changes from the rolling farmland of the Lowlands to the forested hills and mountains of the Scottish Highlands. This thick forest is the very same mentioned in Shakespeare's Macbeth as "Birnam Wood." One part of the wood is especially beautiful –the Hermitage – and this is where you will take a walk. Here, surrounded by thick forest, the River Braan crashes over spectacular waterfalls . This is a migratory route for salmon, and they can often be seen trying to leap the falls.
Follow the wide valley of the River Tay , the longest river in Scotland with the greatest flow of water of any river in Britain. Stop in Pitlochry for lunch (own expense), and take the opportunity to visit a whisky distillery or the dam where salmon leap in summer.
Continue to Killiecrankie and the Queen's View, where on a clear day the view stretches from Loch Tummel to Schiehallion and beyond to the hills of Glencoe. Next you'll head along the shores of Loch Tay, in the shadow of Ben Lawers. At the head of the loch is Killin, with the wonderful falls of Dochart in the heart of the town.
After a short stop, continue over the Braes of Balquhidder, the final resting place of Highland outlaw Rob Roy MacGregor.
The Scottish Highlands are Europe's last great wilderness! Traveling in a small group means you can take lots of stops and reach out-of-the-way places, giving you more time out the van to discover the real Scotland.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
- Professional driver/guide
- Discount card offering discounts at local restaurants, shopping and attractions
- Modern, air-conditioned Mercedes van(maximum 16 people )
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Entrance fees (the included Discount Card offers a reduction in Entrance fee prices)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Minimum age is 6 years
- There are opportunities to take nature walks; it is recommended to bring suitable clothing and footwear. Scotland can be a wet place!
- First Edinburgh tour operator to be awarded 5-star status by the Scottish Tourist Board
The tour operator aims to maintain the legacy of Scotland's beautiful landscape for future generations to enjoy. The tour is as close as you can get to touring in your own car, but with the added benefit of reducing your carbon footprint by 75% (based on 2 persons traveling the same distance in their own car). The operator's commitment to environmental excellence has been recognized with two Gold awards from the Green Tourism scheme and Keep Edinburgh Clean awards.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Steven B, November 2016
Jodi was the best and does a great job! She is very knowledgable on the salient points of Scottish history! Jodi is a great story teller and managed to keep us laughing. The Dewars Distillery tour was very educational and has helped to up my game as a Whiskey afficianado. Of course the Scottish Highlands scenery is brilliant. Only wish I had more time.
Reviewed by: Sietse J, August 2016
The tour was great!! It was not until the day after, when we visited the Castle and other attractions, that we realised how much of the Scottish history we were told during this trip. Jude was our guide and she was great. Good stories, not too long, not too short, very entertaining and informative. Our recommendations!