- See native wildlife in their natural environment
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Fully narrated tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
You’ll learn about this history of these unique birds -- primarily red-masked parakeets -- who call Telegraph Hill home. Descended from escaped or released pets, they've become a naturalized colony. You’ll also hear how these parrots have been the subject of books, news stories, travel guides and documentaries.
As you search for these famous feathered friends, be sure to listen for their distinctive call, your guide will point out interesting sights along the way, including buried ships, a redwood tree grove, the original San Francisco Bay waterline (hint: it’s not where you think) and the stomping grounds of Bummer and Lazarus, San Francisco’s most famous dogs who became canine celebrities in the 1860s.
If for some reason parrots aren’t sighted on your tour, you’ll be treated to your own DVD copy of The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill documentary to watch at home. Your Telegraph Hill walking tour ends at Sue Bierman Park.
Note: A portion of ticket proceeds go to the San Francisco based non-profit group Mickaboo Companion Bird Rescue.
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Pair of Parrots of Telegraph Hill
- Professional guide
- Narrated walking tour
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Tour may be cancelled in the event of rain. In this case, travelers will be offered an alternate departure time or a full-refund
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Binoculars may enhance the enjoyment of the tour but are not necessary
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Walking tour covers hilly terrain with some steep areas. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Should parrots not be sighted during the tour, guests will be ordered the 83-minute DVD The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill at no additional charge
- A portion of all ticket sales go to the San Francisco
based non-profit group Mickaboo Companion Bird Rescue
- Due to recent legislation, the parrots may no longer be hand-fed
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.