- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
Meet your expert guide inside the Opera Garnier for your 1.5-hour walking tour around this beautiful Neo-Baroque building. Strolling through the sumptuous Member’s Rotunda, you’ll see the intricate floor mosaics and glamorous wall lights that enchanted privileged opera house guests in earlier days.
Continue to the main marble staircase, flanked by impressive bronze statues carved in the likeness of Greek gods like the Prophetess Pythia. As you walk, your guide will point out the most notable monuments while explaining the opera house’s intriguing history. Learn of world-famous operas that have been hosted here, including La Traviata, and hear how the building inspired the setting for Gaston Leroux’s novel and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical The Phantom of the Opera.
As you enter the massive auditorium, your breath will be taken away with the sight of its plush red velvet seats, alabaster cherubs and golf-leaf balcony embellishments. The stage is framed by an extravagant chandelier that glitters over all the activity in the auditorium below.
Wander through the lounges and the Grand Foyer, where audiences amble during intervals, and admire the richly decorated mosaic tiles, paintings and mirrors that were intended to resemble the gallery of a classic French chateau. Your tour normally finishes here, and you can continue exploring independently if you wish.
Alternatively, opt for an after-hours tour to see the spectacular theater without the crowds. You will see the same areas as the daytime tours, but with just your group, the setting appears to be even more impressive!
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Opera Garnier tour with an English-speaking guide. Departs at 10:30am
Opera Garnier tour with an English-speaking guide. Departs at 11:00am
Opera Garnier tour with an English-speaking guide. Departs at 11:30am
Opera Garnier tour with an English-speaking guide. Departs at 2:30pm
Opera Garnier tour with an English-speaking guide. Departs at 3pm
Treasures of the Opera Garnier Tour in Paris
- Entrance fees
- Guided tour with an official tour guide from the Opera Garnier
- Audio equipment for listening to the guide on the day tour
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Tour is not suitable for children under 5 years old
- Access to the auditorium of the Opera Garnier is not guaranteed as it may be closed for technical or artistic reasons
- On the day tour the guide will talk into a microphone and you will be able to hear clearly using a broadcast system provided by the Opera Garnier. One ID card or passport will be required as a guarantee for the audio equipment.
- Please note: If you are taking the 5pm After-Hours tour, you must arrive before 4:45pm. The Opera Garnier closes its doors for guided tours at this time. If you are late, you will not be able to take the tour.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Vicki C, January 2017
Wow. I can't believe it took me this long to go inside this building. The guided tour is the only way to get a real insider view, as they take you into the theatre assuming no rehearsals happening, which gives you the full perspective of the interior and ceiling art you can't from viewing from the two public boxes.
This theatre is an amazing feat and my jaw dropped more than a few times. It has been kept in stellar condition since it was opened, so really worth the visit. It even has a hall of mirrors that rivals Versailles!
Reviewed by: Lucy T, December 2016
As a big fan of Phantom of the Opera this was must see and it exceeded my expectations! its a magnificent building and our guide was very informative and patient as we had a large group. it was lovely to see parts that are normally off limits as there are areas that are guided tours only. Had to buy the book all about it when I saw it. I would definitely recommend this!!