- Instant Confirmation
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Small group ensures personal service
- All entrance fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Upon arrival at Wai-O-Tapu, your experienced guide leads you along well-marked paths to reach a series of brilliantly colored natural pools of steaming hot water that bubble with geothermal activity. Hear a morning presentation about the Lady Knox Geyser and watch the daily eruption that shoots a fountain of water high into the air.
Your guide explains how the Tarawera Volcano eruption in 1866 formed the park's natural hot springs that glow in bright yellow, orange and turquoise colors. Your guide also points out examples of how the native bush regenerated after the eruption. As you take in bubbling mud pools, steaming lakes and more, you’ll understand why Wai-O-Tapu is considered one of the world’s most surreal places.
Expect a leisurely walk along wide trails with plenty of time for photo ops and informative commentary from your guide. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have as you admire the otherworldly beauty of Wai-O-Tapu.
See even more geothermal spots during a short drive through the Waimangu Volcanic Valley. Your guide explains the ways that local Maori people have used the sites as well as how New Zealand’s volcanic processes work.
At the end of your 4-hour tour, your guide returns you to your Rotorau hotel.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Colorful hot springs at Wai-O-Tapu.
- Small-group tour
- Live commentary on board
- Local guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entrance fees
- Gratuities (recommended)
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- A small amount of walking is involved
- Minimum age is 5 years
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: agnetha.foong, September 2016
What an educational and interesting experience. My group and I really enjoyed walking around and exploring the different thermal sites, getting to know nature better. Our guide, Huru, was very friendly.
Reviewed by: Anne-Marie L, July 2016
Amazing tour and the guide was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. I would definitely recommend to friends and family.