Shark Encounter at Ocean World
Glide across the surface of a pool with a mask and snorkel as you are surrounded by a small school of nurse sharks. Reach out and touch the backs of these friendly sea creatures! These magnificent creatures look fearsome but are friendly, so you're perfectly safe to swim and enjoy the sensation of the sharks moving around you.
Ever dreamt of getting up close with an ocean predator? Book a Shark Encounter today to experience what very few people are fortunate enough to encounter in the wild! This tour is something only few people get to experience!
Of all marine creatures, none is more fascinating than the shark! Ocean World is the only marine park in the world to offer guests the chance to hold, to touch and to explore the deep sea secrets of the nurse shark. Under the close supervision of trained staff members, you will touch, hold, feed and ultimately swim with a small school of adult nurse sharks. These magnificent creatures, some as long as 7 feet, will amaze you with their sandpapery skin, their fearsome teeth and their relaxed attitude towards humans, giving you an understanding and an appreciation of this beautiful and awe-inspiring creature that very few people will ever share! This is truly the adventure of a lifetime and a rare opportunity to meet nature on its own breathtaking terms.
Combine with a Dolphin Swim Program
Dolphin Swim: The Dolphin Swim is the most popular program at Ocean World, it ultimately gives you the chance to experience a truly personal encounter with the dolphins. For 30 minutes you will spend some special moments in the water with the dolphins, sharing a kiss, hugging, dancing, feeding, petting and swimming. A 'human hurdle' and a spectacular dorsal fin tow will finish off the program!
Admission is included when you book this interaction program.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from most Puerto Plata, Playa Dorada, Cofresi and Maimon hotels. A surcharge is charged for passengers transferring from Sosua, Cabarette, Rio San Juan, Bahia Principe, Playa Grande and Luperon (payable direct and only available on certain days).
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
30-minute snorkel with sharks with the chance to touch & feed the animals
Shark & Dolphin Swim
30-minute snorkel with sharks with the chance to touch & feed the animals; 30-minute swim with dolphins including a dolphin kiss, hugging, dancing, feeding & petting
Shark and Stingray Encounter at Ocean World
- Round trip bus transfers (surcharges apply for some hotels)
- Shark Encounter Program
- Dolphin Swim (if Combo option is selected at time of booking)
- Snorkeling in Tropical Reef Aquarium
- Snorkeling Equipment
- Swimming in Pirate's Pool
- Sea Lion Shows (twice per day)
- Rainforest and Bird Exhibits
- Observation of all Dolphin and Sea Lion Interactive Programs
- Use of Dolphin Beach (beach lounge chairs included)
- Use of the Aquaglide water playground
- Local Taxes
- Gratuities (optional)
- Dolphin Swim is ONLY included if the Combination Option is selected at time of booking
- Lunch (Buffet available for an additional US$14 booked and paid direct)
- Transfer Surcharge (if staying in Sosua, Cabarette, Rio San Juan, Bahia Principe, Playa Grande and Luperon)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A Buffet Lunch option is available for US$14 per person. Please book the Lunch Buffet when you call to reconfirm your tour
- The total duration for the Shark Encounter is approximately 30 minutes
- Pregnant passengers are not permitted to participate in any encounter / interactive programs
- Children aged 5 years and under are not permitted to participate in the Shark and Stingray Encounter
- Children aged 6 - 12 years must be accompanied by a paying adult in the same session
- Please Note: this tour is not available to cruise ship passengers
Park Schedule (subject to change)
- 9:30am - 5:30pm: Caribbean Snorkel Reef, and the Love Bird Encounter Tropical Bird Sanctuary, all run continually throughout the day
- 9:30am: Stingray Encounter; Sea Lion Encounter
- 10:00am: Dolphin Swim and Encounter; Shark Feeding Show and Encounter
- 11:00am: Sea Lion Show; Dolphin Swim and Encounter
- 11:30am: Sea Lion Encounter
- 12:00pm: Dolphin Swim and Encounter; Stingray Encounter
- 12:30pm: Shark Feeding Show and Encounter
- 1:00pm: Dolphin Swim and Encounter
- 1:30pm: Sea Lion Encounter
- 2:00pm: Dolphin Swim and Encounter; Stingray Encounter
- 2:30pm: Shark Feeding Show and Encounter
- 3:00pm: Dolphin Swim and Encounter; Sea Lion Show
- 3:30pm: Sea Lion Encounter
- 4:00pm: Dolphin Swim and Encounter; Stingray Encounter
- 4:30pm: Shark Feeding Show and Encounter
- 5:00pm: Dolphin Swim and Encounter
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Janelle M, June 2012
This was a once in a lifetime experience. Well worth the money and a shuttle picked us up at the lobby of our hotel, dropped us off at the front of ocean world, and returned us the same way. Everyone was extremely friendly and we even paid $60 to upgrade. On top of that, our pictures and DVD were delivered to our hotel the following day. Would definitely do it again.
Reviewed by: James W, June 2011
An absolutely incredible experience. The Stingrays were surprisingly forceful creatures, yet jelly like and elegant. Be warned, you may end up being part of the shark show, but it is an enjoyable experience. I would do it again. Worth every penny!