Join an Alaskan wilderness adventure as you are introduced to glacier trekking on Mendenhall Glacier!
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
Once reaching the glacier, you will be outfitted in trekking gear. With the use of crampons, enjoy trekking on moderate glacial terrain overlooking Mendenhall Lake. This trip features close-up views of ice caves, streams, crevasses and other unique glacial formations!Professional expert guides will provide training to ensure a safe and fun adventure on Mendenhall Glacier.
The Mendenhall Glacier Trek and Climb caters to all ages and abilities, however, clients must be in good enough shape to hike for up to
6-6.5-hours, covering about 8 miles (12.8km) roundtrip. The hike to the glacier is challenging and hiking with a backpack is required. The backpack is provided, weighs approximately 10-15 pounds and holds mountaineering gear, snacks/water, and any extra clothing that you would like to bring.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from Juneau hotels or the Mt. Roberts Tramway (5 minutes from the cruise ship terminal)
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Departs at 7:30am
Departs at 8:30am
Departs at 10:30am
Departs at 1:30pm
Mendenhall Glacier Trek and Climb
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Hearty snack/bottled water
- Mountaineering gear, backpack, rain jacket and pants -- please advise supplier of rain gear sizing
- Roundtrip transportation from designated meeting point
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- You must include the following in the comments section when booking: raingear & shoe sizes for each passenger, (for adult men and women, S-XXL and youth, S-L) and any pertinent medical information
- This small group adventure has a minimum of 2 and maximum of 12 participants
- Minimum age is 12 years
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- WAIVER FORM: Every participant on the trip must sign
a waiver form at the start of the trip. Alterations and/or
deletions to the waiver is not permitted
- Clients must be in good enough shape and conditioned to hike for up to 6-6.5 hours, covering about 8 miles roundtrip. The hike is challenging and clients need to bring sturdy hiking boots that provide good ankle support while hiking on rocky terrain. All clients will need to hike with a backpack the entire way on this trip. The backpack (provided) weighs approximately 10-15 pounds and holds mountaineering gear, snacks/water, etc.
- Visiting specific features such as ice caves, moulins, etc. cannot be guaranteed due to the constantly changing nature of the Mendenhall glacier. Your guide will assess the hazards the day of the trip and determine if a particular area is safe enough to trek upon or enter
What to Bring:
- Hiking boots with with good stability and traction
- Comfortable hiking pants
- Warm sweater or fleece pullover
- Warm hat
- Fleece gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
If you cancel between 8 and 14 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 7 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Roger S, July 2016
Fantastic day. Our guides were great, helped us along every step.
Reviewed by: HJ, July 2016
Unbelievable! Magical experience. A challenging, yet beautiful hike brought us to the ominous Mendenhall Glacier. Wow! Our very small group with Above and Beyond Alaska (ABAK) ran into another ABAK group and was able to discover a brand new (that day!) ice cave! Amazing experience. A must!