On arrival, hop onto your electric bike (pedal bikes are available if you prefer) and head deeper into the countryside with your guide. Take in top attractions such as the thermal baths of Trajan and Caracella, the Aurelian Walls, the Circus of Maxentius, the Tomb of Caecilia Metella and the Park of the Caffarella. Enjoy panoramic views over rural Italy and listen as your guide sheds light on the many ancient sights you see.
Stop at the San Callisto catacombs — built in the 2nd century and named after the deacon St Callixtus — and explore the underground tunnels with your guide. Learn of their fascinating history and gain insight into ancient Roman burial traditions.
After cycling approximately 19 miles (30 km) along the Appian Way, travel back to central Rome to conclude your tour.
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
10:30am Tour in English
6-hour bike tour departing at 10:30am
USD $91.54Pricing details
2pm Tour in English
6-hour bike tour departing at 2pm
USD $91.54Pricing details
Ancient Appian Way
- Guided visit of the Catacombs of S. Callisto
- Aperitif in Caffarella Park
- Electric assist mountain bike or carbon mountain bike
- Rain coat (if necessary)
- Local guide
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Electric assist bikes are available only for participants over 12 years old
- We require all customers to wear a helmet (provided for free)
- Infants aged 1 - 4 years of age travel free of charge. Baby seats are provided up to 45 lbs (20 kg)
- You will cover an area of approximately 19 miles (30 Km); the level of the ride is intermediate, 60% of the ride is off road (no asphalt). A medium level of fitness is recommended and one should feel at ease on a bicycle.
- Are the tours safe? The answer is: Yes. The tours follow carefully planned routes which have limited access to traffic, and some have no traffic at all
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Reviewed by: Frank K, February 2017
This tour - and Ambra as a guide - was amazing. It is so nice to be able to walk... eh, cycle... on historic ground, in a beautiful landscape. Our group was quite small - me and my girlfriend and a couple from Scotland plus the guide, Ambra, and we had a lovely day biking down the Appian Way, visiting the catacomb of Saint Sebastian, and looking at immense aqueducts, and finally stopping for some great pecorino cheese and home baked bread at a farm before going back to the city. This is a must-experience in my opinion.
Reviewed by: Lynette T, January 2017
What an excellent way to spend the day in Rome. We got so much more than expected from this tour. The weather was perfect for riding. Our guide was entertaining and knowledgable. The stop at the farmhouse was also entertaining. I would do this tour again.