Select a datex
Join a walking tour through one of New Orleans' most exclusive areas, the Garden District -- a historical section of town that rivals the architectural splendor of the Creoles' French Quarter. On this 2.5-hour guided walking tour, learn about the interesting history of the area and view the Lafayette Cemetery; see the homes of former Mardi Gras kings and queens; and marvel at one of the best-preserved collections of historic southern mansions in the US.
On this Garden District walking tour watch as the wonder of New Orleans blossoms before your eyes. This elegant historical area, known for its marvelous examples of Greek Revival and Italianate architecture, was once the site of a number of plantations, including the Livaudais Plantation. Learn from your guide how in the 1800s it was sold off in small amounts primarily to wealthy Americans who did not want to live among the Creoles in the French Quarter.
Along the way, see the homes of former kings and queens of Mardi Gras, that were once part of the plantation owned by Sieur de Bienville , the founder of New Orleans. These annual regents are chosen from the members of New Orleans' Rex Organization, founded by civic-minded businessmen back in the late 1800s to increase tourism to New Orleans. You'll also see the home of a different sort of royalty, the premier family of football -- the Mannings -- where Archie lives and Peyton and Eli grew up. Hear fascinating stories of local author and longtime resident of New Orleans, Anne Rice, as you walk past one of her former homes.
Journey back in time as you visit Lafayette Cemetery, one of New Orleans' famed ‘Cities of the Dead,’ established in 1833. Here, learn about the unusual above-ground burial system found in New Orleans’ historic cemeteries.
Stop at a local café for a refreshment and pause to reflect on the beauty of the Garden District. End your tour in the French Quarter.
The Garden District has many spectacular homes
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Tour departs from the French Quarter
Return Details:Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Garden District Mansion
- Transport to and from the Garden District by air-conditioned coach
- Local guide
- Refreshment stop at a local café
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless you are booking within 7 days of tour date. In this case, confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability.
- Cemetery closed on some holidays, Saturday afternoons and Sundays
- In order to help preserve the French Quarter from vehicular traffic, it is requested that you please walk, if possible, to the convenient tour departure point - just a short stroll from most downtown hotels
- Tour vehicles are equipped for wheelchair storage. If wheelchairs collapse and fold, they can be placed in the storage compartment on the bus. If the wheelchair is a scooter, then special arrangements need to be made with the supplier for a handicap-accessible bus. This must be arranged 48 hours prior to tour date. Contact details will be on your voucher.
- The audio system may not be used during inclement weather.
- Child rates apply to those under the age of 6 who occupy a seat. Lap children under 6 years ride for free
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.