Only 47 miles (76 kilometers) south of Africa's most populated city of Cairo, lies the oasis town of Fayoum. The main attraction in this tranquil town are the wooden waterworks, yet another example of the ingenuity displayed by ancient Egyptian engineers.
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Led by a qualified Egyptologist
- All entrance fees included
- Lunch included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Originally named Crocodilopolis, then Arsinoe, Medinet El-Fayoum was the main place of worship of the crocodile god, Sobek. Apparently, during ancient Medinet, crocodiles were adorned with gold and fed honey cakes and meat by the priests.
Of interest are the huge wooden waterwheels, another incredible engineering feat by the ancient Egyptians, though less known than the mighty Pyramids. The waters of the Bahr Yusef are distributed throughout the oasis from Medinet, the capital of the Fayoum. Approximately 200 of the great waterwheels are located throughout the oasis. The Seven Waterwheels, a Fayoum landmark, are surrounded by mangoes, palms and willows.
A great stone obelisk was erected in honor of Senwosret I in Abgig during the 12th Dynasty. It was discovered on the ground in two pieces during the 18th century and was recently reconstructed and erected in Medinet.
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Tour departs from centrally located Cairo and Giza hotels
- 8:00am (earlier or later departures are available until 8:30am if required, please advise at time of booking)
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Return Details:Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
- Qualified Egyptologist guide
- Entrance fees
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Gratuities (recommended)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Transport is wheelchair accessible however be prepared for uneven surfaces at the sites visited which may be difficult for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.