Newport Mansions and Waterfront Sightseeing Tour from Boston
- All entrance fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Fully narrated tour
- Day trip (destination A to B)
After pickup from your Boston hotel, sit back and relax on the 1.5-hour drive south to Newport, Rhode Island. When you arrive, you'll see why this fabulous New England resort city is nicknamed the 'Sailing Capital of the World.'
Learn about the city's colonial heritage on your scenic drive along Ocean Drive (10-Mile Drive), affording views of historic mansions, beaches and secluded coves. This epic stretch of road is lined with jaw-dropping million-dollar mansions that were once the 19th-century houses of the New York elite, who fled the big city during the summer to Rhode Island. These mega-mansions played a role in transforming Newport’s coast from a quiet summer colony of quaint cottages to a legendary resort town brimming with opulent estates.
Your first stop is The Breakers, the former home of the Vanderbilt family and a US National Historic Landmark. As you'll learn on your walking tour, this is the grandest of Newport's summer 'cottages,' and was a symbol of the family's social and financial reputation at turn of the century.
Next, enjoy free time to stroll along Newport's beautifully restored waterfront. Spend time shopping and dining on your own, and enjoy views of the harbor dotted with glamorous private yachts, modern racing sailboats and Newport's fishing fleet and ships from around the world.
In the afternoon, you'll visit a second mansion, Marble House, another home of the Vanderbilt family and a US National Historic Landmark. Take a guided walking tour to fully appreciate the grandiose of this majestic piece of property; the interior of this Gilded Age mansion is a sight to be seen.
After your tour, enjoy more views of Newport's mansions and beaches from afar on your return journey along Ocean Drive back to Boston.
This tour is seasonal and only operates from June to October.
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Tour departs from Park Plaza in Boston or select Boston hotels
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
The Marble House
- Transport by luxury air-conditioned coach
- Professional guide
- Admission and tour of The Breakers and Marble House
- Live commentary on board
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability.
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- Infant rates apply to those under the age of 3 who do not occupy a seat. If your child requires a seat, please purchase a child ticket.
Reviewed by: Tina K, July 2015
I didn't know what to expect from Newport - but I was blown away - so much grandeur, history and wealth. I heard stories about Jacqui, JFK, the Rockerfellers and the Vanderbilts. I got to see mansions and I had a lovely lunch by the water. This was the highlight of my trip to Boston. If you have a day in Boston - you must do this tour.
Reviewed by: Richard S, December 2014
Newport is a fantastic destination for a day trip.
The opulence and splendor of the mansions are definitely worth seeing.