Ancient Appian Way, Catacombs and Roman Countryside Bike Tour
The challenging route covers a distance of roughly 19 miles (30 kilometers) including some seven or eight hills and lots of off-road terrain; for this reason, the tour is aimed at experienced cyclists with a better-than-average level of fitness.
Choose from a 4.5-hour, 5-hour or 6-hour tour, and after putting on your helmet, set off behind your guide at a steady pace. All of the options follow an intense cycling route, covering lots of off-road and hilly terrain. Take the 4.5-hour tour to see the sights of the Appian Way from your bike -- with few stops -- or alternatively, take the 5-hour tour (October only) or the 6-hour tour. The longer options include lengthier stops; both include a visit to a Roman sheep farm to relax over wine and cheese, and the 6-hour tour includes a guided tour of the Catacombs, too.
All options include additional sights like:
- Trajan's Thermal baths
- Caracalla's Thermal baths
- S. Sebastian Door
- Aurelian Walls
- Ancient Appian Way
- S. Callisto Catacombs
- Circus of Maxentius
- Tomb of Caecilia Metella
- Tombs and Tumulus Ruins
- Ninfeum of Villa Quintili
- Aqueduct Park (Claudius and Felix)
- Caffarella Park
- Ninfeum of Egeria
Recent Photos of this Tour
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
10:30am 6-Hour Tour
6-hour bike tour departing at 10:30am
1pm 6-Hour Tour
6-hour bike tour departing 1pm. From October 1, 2015, tour depart at 12:45pm
2pm 6-Hour Tour
6-hour bike tour departing at 2pm
2pm 5-Hour Tour
5-hour bike tour departing at 2pm on April 5, 2015 only. Please note that this departure does not go to the Catacombs.
Ancient Appian Way
- Guided visit of the Catacombs of S. Callisto
- Aperitif in Caffarella Park
- 27-gear trekking bike
- Rain coat (if necessary)
- Local guide
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- We require all customers to wear a helmet (provided for free)
- Infants aged 1 - 4 years of age travel free of charge. Baby seats are provided up to 45 lbs (20 kg)
- During February the Catacombs are closed: tour will last only five hours in this case
- You will cover an area of approximately 19 miles (30 Km); the ride is leisurely but eventually will go uphill and off-road, so a medium to high level of fitness is recommended
- Are the tours safe? The answer is: Absolutely! The tours follow carefully planned routes which have limited access to traffic, and some have no traffic at all, meaning you are able to enjoy your ride around the city in total relaxation and safety and you won't have to worry about traffic
Reviewed by: Mollie L, April 2015
Our family of four including two sons 11 and 16 took the Ancient Appian way, Catacombs and Countryside bike tour in March, 2015. We could not have been more pleased with the guide or the bikes. The tour includes all aspects of life in Rome - historical sites, local parks, countryside, regular neighborhoods and some routine streets of Rome. We thought that was a nice bonus. Matteo was our guide and he was full of knowledge he was happy to share, very considerate of the bikers needs and levels, and was very personable and fun to be around. This was the highlight of our 11 tour of Italy and would not consider going back to Rome without booking another excursion with them.
Reviewed by: Marie H, February 2015
excellent trip. Easy to imagine sharing the Appian Way with the ancient romans. Terrific countryside, informative, a wonderful relaxed day out. all the eaquipment was good .