Experience the adrenaline-charged thrill of white water rafting on Queenstown’s Kawarau River! As you paddle through the stunning scenery, you'll feel like you are rafting through the heart of Middle-earth as it was the Kawarau River that starred as the River Anduin in ‘The Lord of the Rings’ movie trilogy. This grade II to III rafting trip is suitable for all fitness levels, and no experience is necessary. White water rafting while in Queenstown is an unforgettable New Zealand experience not to be missed.
From central Queenstown, travel approximately 25-minutes by road to the rafting start point on the Kawarau River. You’ll be fitted with a wetsuit and life-jacket, and receive training and a full safety briefing from the expert guides. It is then time to hit the river.
The Kawarau River provides endless thrills the moment you push off from the riverbank. This fun day out is suitable for all fitness levels, and no experience is required.
Hold on tight and enjoy the rush of adrenaline as your raft twists and turns through the foaming Class II and III rapids. Your guide will help you paddle along the river through some of New Zealand’s most spectacular alpine scenery.
At the end of your rafting adventure, enjoy a sauna and hot shower at the rafting base and perhaps reward yourself with a well-earned hot chocolate, beer or snack (available for purchase from the licensed bar) before the return trip to Queenstown.
Queenstown Kawarau River White Water Rafting
Select a month to view a calendar of availability and departure details.
Departure Point:Queenstown Rafting Adventure Centre, Shotover Sheet Queentown
Return Details:Returns to original departure point
Click the link below to check pricing & availability on your preferred travel date. Our pricing is constantly updated to ensure you always receive the lowest price possible.
Departs at 8:15am. Includes hotel pickup if required
Departs at 1:15pm
Kawarau River Rafting
- Hotel pickup (morning tour only)
- Use of hot showers and sauna facilities
- Wetsuit rafting clothing and all other equipment provided
- Extensive safety instructions and paddling techniques
- Hotel pickup for afternoon departures
- Hotel drop-off
- Food and drink
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 13 years. Children aged between 13 and 15 years must be accompanied by a guardian
- All travelers between the age of 15 and 18 years require a waiver to be signed by a guardian if they are unaccompanied
- You must bring a swimsuit and towel
- Travelers MUST have a "minimum weight" of 88 pounds (40kg) to participate on this tour
- Water confidence although not essential is recommended
You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity. What's this?
Local Operator Information:
Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher. Our Product Managers select only the most experienced and reliable operators in each destination, removing the guesswork for you, and ensuring your peace of mind.